[SBE] mixed aspect ratio workflow

David Baker DBaker at addison-il.org
Wed Jan 18 12:46:22 EST 2012

Hello all,

Our facility is attempting to utilize its newer widescreen studio cameras/lenses to produce content in 16:9. The signal would be distributed and recorded in composite analog until we can pave a path to SD-SDI. Currently our Sony cameras output a full-screen 16:9 anamorphic image.

Our problem lies in incorporating 4:3 content into these productions, as well as also combining final productions with other mixed content (4:3, letterbox 16:9, etc.) programs into a signal that gets to the cable provider in some watchable manner - with no postage stamp look or stretched images.

As far as I can tell, the key seems to be in the use of an Active Format Descriptor (AFD) in our program material. Can AFD be inserted in an analog signal? Does AFD use happen in the production facility, or at the cable provider end?

Our provider doesn't seem to be able to automatically switch aspect ratio when it gets our signal. The response was they were "not entirely convinced it could work, or if it did what it would look like since there is no other working example to follow".

Does anyone have a better way of managing this problem, and can recommend some type of equipment interconnection/content workflow?

I have a feeling this may be an ongoing headache with no easy answer for many facilities, but thanks for any insight!

Thank you,

David Baker, CBTE, CBNT
Media Production Coordinator
Community Relations Dept.