[SBE] mixed aspect ratio workflow

David Baker DBaker at addison-il.org
Wed Jan 18 14:09:07 EST 2012

Thank you John and Tony.
Your responses shed light on many issues, especially the problems of 16:9 in the analog domain.
We were somewhat shocked to see the DXC-D55WS cameras give a narrower field of view in 4:3 mode over the DXC-3000's we upgraded from 4 years ago.
I found it to be an electronic cropping of the image off the 16:9 chip, and couldn't find a way to change where it got cropped. Ever since, I have been trying to utilize this camera
in the intended 16:9 mode, especially since it helps shooting talk shows with multiple guests on a small set.
We're still shooting material in 4:3, but have cameras that will do HD.
Thanks for the input.

Dave

>>> John Peterson <jpeterson at prairiepublic.org> 1/18/2012 12:36 PM >>>

As long as you are using composite analog I don't see the benefit in trying to do 16:9. Yes it is good to fill all the new screens but as long as you are analog you will have problems working with both aspect ratios. I could be wrong but I don't think AFD is used in the analog world.

Where does the 4:3 content come from? Legacy material? or are you still shooting field stuff in 4:3? I would wait to do 16:9 until you can do SDI. And I would upgrade the field cameras to 16:9 (HD) as soon as possible.

Legacy 4:3 material will always be needed/used but once you make the switch to widescreen, specially HD, producers will minimize the use of the 4:3 material because of the look and the hassle.

John