[SBE] mixed aspect ratio workflow

John Peterson jpeterson at prairiepublic.org
Wed Jan 18 13:36:57 EST 2012

As long as you are using composite analog I don't see the benefit in trying
to do 16:9. Yes it is good to fill all the new screens but as long as you
are analog you will have problems working with both aspect ratios. I could
be wrong but I don't think AFD is used in the analog world.

Where does the 4:3 content come from? Legacy material? or are you still
shooting field stuff in 4:3? I would wait to do 16:9 until you can do
SDI. And I would upgrade the field cameras to 16:9 (HD) as soon as
possible.

Legacy 4:3 material will always be needed/used but once you make the switch
to widescreen, specially HD, producers will minimize the use of the 4:3
material because of the look and the hassle.

John