[SBE] The spectrum grab is not new

Rolin Lintag rolin.lintag at vtntv.com
Mon Apr 2 15:34:12 EDT 2012

Just from my limited understanding, the rationale for the frequency grab are:

1) Anachronism of the broadcasters' wireless spectrum usage

2) The use is not spectrum efficient

3) Newcomer (broadband IP) will benefit the public MORE than OTA broadcasters will

As long as broadcasters prove otherwise, then the spectrum grab will be difficult to justify.

I think if broadcasters can continue to show the following, then the reason for the spectrum grab will ONLY be politically motivated than anything else;

1) Fitness for use - the broadcasters' ubiquity and localism at the same time are fit for public service like emergency alerts and local notifications as in news and public affairs. Network affiliation keeps the blood running but localism is our bone marrow. Mobile phone systems have shown in the past to be inadequate to fill this need. Even when boomers are gone, OTA remains as a reliable source of public service info during a calamity. Broadcasters need to keep it that way and even do better.

2) Spectrum efficiency - Aggressively fill up the DTV .2 and .3 channels even with all SD. Business models should already be in place to make this happen since it can be a steady source of additional income. If all stations are filled up like an OTA "CATV", and people have more "channels" to watch as FREE TV, then there will be more cable cutters, hence more support for OTA.

3) Other opportunistic data should be tapped to the max, either for OTA or Mobile TV.

I particularly look up to the NAB and the SBE to facilitate business and technical strategies to allow us to dig like ticks in our spectrum foxholes. I just watched Matrix Revolutions again last night for the nth time and I can almost hear Captain Mifune's inspiring pep talk to the corps - 'If it is our time to die, it is our time. But if we...." :)

Message: 1