[SBE] Dwindling numbers of engineers

Barry Thomas barryt at sbe.org
Tue Apr 3 15:38:32 EDT 2012

Matthew

Mark Heller is dead-on-target with his advice.

Well said.

Barryt.

Message: 4
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 15:06:27 -0400
From: Matthew Steck <matthewjsteck at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SBE] Dwindling numbers of engineers
To: sbe member discussion mail list <sbe at sbe.org>

I guess this would be a good time to ask... Just out of curiosity, I am a
23 year old engineer working at a group of stations in a smaller market,
making the salary mentioned above. I do the IT work, am familiar with
computer programming and also enjoy doing hand-in-transmitter/audio
repair/wiring. I can't help but think what the future may hold for me
years down the road. My degree is in telecommunications (Penn State). All
of my electronics knowledge is from collecting and repairing vintage
consumer audio since I was a kid. Is it true that the real-world
experience I have may out-weigh a degree in the future? I love the work I
am doing (and love radio) so I'd like to stay in the field. When I made my
decision to go this route, I figured that someone my age would have a good
amount of luck finding positions, as the current guys begin retiring. Was
that a reasonable assumption?