[SBE] Dwindling numbers of engineers

Henry's AFLAC a9xw at cs.com
Tue Apr 3 15:36:15 EDT 2012

WHen I graduated HS, I went to DeVry, got my FCC 1st, and started at University of Wisconsin to become a HS teacher. I had worked in electronics sales (Olson Electronics for those old enough to remember them) and 2-way radio repair to earn tuition. I found my way into Broadcasting at WFAW AM</FM Ft Atkinson, WI, as a combo/weekend DJ/engineer. THe path was move up by moving to bigger markets and bigger stations. Some 20 years ago (some will say 30) Broadcasting took the public service gloves off and put the make all; the $ you possible can gloves on. Mergers, buy outs, staff reductions, reductions in benefits became the mantra. It was un heard of to have a CE run more than 1 TV station in the top markets, now they may run 3 TV and any number of radio. At NBC we had about 186 "engineers" in Chicago, I was told it is now in the teens. The department I worked in at NBC 30 ROck is completely gone. THere are more walking around wearing CONTRACTOR badges than EMPLOYEE. A former CBS exec was hired at Telemundo to trim it down for sale to NBC. Last I heard 2 of the 56 people from local Telemundo 44 still had a job under NBC/Telemundo/Universal/Comcast whomever. My last project after nearly 10 years at the helm as CE was to make the station an automated unattended operation. That done, the boss threw out every high paid and long time employee in favor of kids and beginners. My advice for anyone that still has a job, prepare yourself with a 2nd income, investments, [I like high dividend stocks and MLP's] some on the side business, or prepare for a career change. For at least 20 years top level have been asking, do we really need a transmitter? Can't we just make it with cable, sat and internet delivery and shelve ther whole thing? And their answer has been ever growing numbers of not OTA program channels that are delivered only by cable, sat and internet. BTW, although a DTV pioneer, for those that thought I was daft in saying NTSC would still be in use in 2012, check out all the LPTV stations on NTSC.
The list of highly qualified, highly experienced OUT OF WORK engineers continue to grow. But the economy must be getting better, Indiana just announced that the last 20 weeks of the 99 week unemployment is ending because unemployment has improved so much the state no longer qualifies for the Fed program. McDOnalds must have hired another 25,000 burger flippers. SO newly unemployed will only qualify for a max 79 weeks.

Henry

Ask me about AFLAC, It pays YOU!