[SBE] Dwindling numbers of engineers

Jeff Carter sbe at hidden-valley.com
Tue Apr 3 15:42:29 EDT 2012

Hi,

Telecommunications Engineering? Me, too, although where I went they
created the telecom engineering degree by taking
motors/plcs/industrial stuff out of the EE program and replacing it
with networking and signal analysis courses. There was a good bit of
electronics as a result.

If you have a Bachelor's in an engineering discipline and you are
making $35k, you are being robbed. It's pretty much that simple. I
know that there is a tendency to compare yourself to your peer group,
but chances are you are far beyond them in accomplishment at this
point and your pay should reflect that.

My school did a survey of graduates about five years ago, and then
folks were getting an average of $50k straight out the door, diploma
in hand. I think there were some huge outliers, like folks barely
working and one guy who got almost six figures because they liked what
he'd done as an intern, but my opinion is that you could do much
better.

In regard to your question about the retirees, my observation is that
they're your worst nightmare in small markets. Most of them either
had no retirement other than social security and will have to work
until they drop. Most of them own all the gear and tools they need to
maintain a station. They will be looking for extra cash, and can and
merrily will cut your throat on rates because they have no overhead.

They're the second biggest factor to the decline of broadcast
engineering pay, management shortsightedness being the first. Lawyers
and doctors know what they are worth and won't destroy their market
worth. A retiree will cheerfully work for the same dollar amount he
worked for in the sixties with no thought or care that the dollar has
depreciated well over half since then.

Jeff

Jeff