[SBE] Dwindling numbers of engineers

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Tue Apr 3 16:48:01 EDT 2012

On Tuesday 03 April 2012 03:42:29 pm Jeff Carter wrote:

> In regard to your question about the retirees, my observation is that

> they're your worst nightmare in small markets.

I would disagree.

Methinks it's not the retirees, but the somewhat less than competent
( SBE certified, or not ) assistant engineers let go by mergers, and the like
who took advantage of economies of scale, and cut staffing.

Most of those guys, being well below legal retirement age, will cut your
throat in a heartbeat, and feel justified because they are doing it
for groceries.
Ultimately, they hurt all of us, themselves, AND the client stations
in the process, but they are satisfied with the $10/hr or so they manage
to cheat you out of.

The same story can be applied to riggers.
I know of guys let go by American Tower and their ilk, who will gladly
do $100 hour jobs for $10.
Not well, have no insurance, and frequently crash towers, but they're cheap !

--
Cowboy