[SBE] EAS CAP Rules...Oy Vey!

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Fri Apr 13 13:09:05 EDT 2012

I just saw this on my email from SBE:

"There is another EAS deadline looming that deals with CAP. New rules
prohibit the use of Text-to-Speech technology. The FCC has concerns over
the reliability of text-to-speech. There are many broadcast organizations
attempting to overturn this decision.

Most of you already have your CAP compliant EAS equipment installed. If
this is the case you need to simply disable. Check with you equipment
manufacture. You may want to take a look at this before you leave town for
NAB.

The quick short term Band-Aid is to disconnect the CAP input on your EAS
box. This is fine until June 30, 2012 at which time CAP will be mandated so
you will need a permanent fix. (If the rules don't change again.)

Scott Mason, CPBE, CBNT

SBE EAS Education Committee Chairman"

So, since we have not yet purchased our CAP equipment, what do we need to do
to be in compliance when June 30 rolls around?

Ron Castro

Chief Technical Officer

Results Radio, LLC

N6IE <http://www.qrz.com/db/n6ie/>