[SBE] EAS CAP adaptors/converters

Mark Heller wgbw at lsol.net
Tue Aug 21 17:19:02 EDT 2012

Here's what I got from Gorman-Redlich..

What is the 2015 deadline I heard about? Will intermediary devices still work? The incorrect claim that intermediary devices will no longer work is based on a statement from the FCC Fifth Report & Order, which reads: "[B]ecause we also require that EAS Participants utilize the enhanced text in a CAP message to provide a visual display, as set forth in section 3.6 of the ECIG Implementation Guide, we will require that any intermediary devices provide such functionality by June 30, 2015, which is three years from the June 30, 2012, deadline for overall CAP compliance." The "enhanced text" referenced in the excerpt above is constructed from various text fields within the CAP message. The Gorman-Redlich CAP-DEC1 already generates this enhanced text and displays it on the user interface. Additionally, the unit is capable of sending this text to certain signboards and character generators. We see no reason why, once requirements are finalized, the CAP-DEC1 would have any problem complying well in advance of such a

deadline.