[SBE] TV Automation questions

Cowboy curt at cwf1.com
Wed Oct 17 16:51:55 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 17 October 2012 03:44:20 pm Honigs, William S wrote:

> I would suggest a good RAID 5 configured storage system.   In fact two independent RAID 5 system fully mirrored.   It really depends on their size and budget.  How important is it to them if the RAID should happen to fail?  The 2nd system is a backup and could save them

Which is why I favor RAID-10
( essentially a mirror of a mirror )

I also favor software RAID on linux, as it's more easily managed,
and easily recoverable so long as any one of the devices still functions,
unlike too many hardware and windows RAID solutions.
It can easily notify someone when a disk fails. Mine checks all of my
RAID arrays each hour, 24/7, and immediately sends me an e-mail should
any one of them suffer damage.
Most often, one of the disks fails, and the system keeps on running
normally on the remaining disk(s) ( the whole purpose of RAID ) until
I can replace the failed disk, and begin the rebuild.
Total down time ( and I mean total ) is usually less than ten minutes with
no data loss what so ever.

Additionally, being partition based and not device based, is easily built
on differing devices.
Could have a SCSI and an IDE as part of the same array, and they need
not be the same sizes, in case a controller should fail.

Motherboard failure is a bit more difficult, but not much is there is a
redundant machine, or a machine that can be made redundant.

TV seldom calls on me, these are just what I consider to be good
engineering practice whenever the revenue stream depends on
a computer for any reason.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com

"No self-respecting fish would want to be wrapped in that kind of
paper."
-- Mike Royko on the Chicago Sun-Times after it was
taken over by Rupert Murdoch