[SBE] Regarding Sennheiser wireless mics

jerhil at frontier.com jerhil at frontier.com
Sun May 4 20:21:40 EDT 2014

Actually, the electrical difference in phase is minuscule considering that in a cable the electrons travel at the speed of light times the Velocity Factor. Immensely faster than the speed of sound. Otherwise, I try to keep my cables of an equal length as good operating procedures.
Where you will notice phasing problems is in the placement of the mics. There are a number of methods that you could try. I remember one SBE CBRE test question where the "correct" answer was " ". I won't divulge it but I will say that it was patently ridiculous. There are many stereo mic methods to choose from. Your 2 main considerations are: do you have a nice stereo image? Can you maintain equal frequency response when you collapse it to mono.
Now some advice on using 2 transmitters. There may be some frequency response issues caused by anomalies in the filtering or companding. You'll hear the problem when you switch to mono as a loss of frequency response. If you have the time, you can work around that with a mid-side matrix where one transmitter handles the L+R and the other transmitter is handling the L-R.
-jer

Sent from my iPhone