[SBE] Windows 7 networking headache

K7qa at aol.com K7qa at aol.com
Tue Dec 9 01:32:48 EST 2014

Windows workstation machines on a common LAN subnet can only  support 10
simultaneous connections from other machines for sharing resources.  On an AV
WG with a number of users mapped into the AVAir server, that machine  may
have already hit 10 shares and your traffic person is denied access.

When you do a Network browse of that WG and only some machines appear  but
not all, the subnet mask settings may be incorrect. Check the subnet mask
settings on your hardcoded static NIC entries.  Typically for a limited
number of machines like an AV WG subnet, they will be set up as a fractional
subnet block within the .255 total and not the entire subnet (255.255.255.0).
For 128 machines or only half that subnet, use 255.255.255.128. For only 64
IP's  within the block, use 255.255.255.192.

tm

In a message dated 12/8/2014 9:22:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,