[SBE] Windows 7 networking headache

Dan Mammone danmammone at wnir.com
Tue Dec 9 10:09:15 EST 2014

Curt,

And if this approach doesn't help...
Check that the network types are all the same as well - HOME|WORK|PUBLIC. I have seen many issues with my Win7 machines create a new PUBLIC connection if/when there is a problem with the current setting. Once I correct the network type and it saves correctly, things start to behave. Make sure you reboot to test that the settings do not change, since that is a common time that the new network setting is created. A real PITA.
Dan Mammone, CBRE
Chief Engineer
Media-Com, Inc
WNIR 100.1 - WJMP 1520 - W35AX TV35 - WAOH TV29

  Windows workstation machines on a common LAN subnet can only support 10 simultaneous connections from other machines for sharing resources. On an AV WG with a number of users mapped into the AVAir server, that machine may have already hit 10 shares and your traffic person is denied access.

  When you do a Network browse of that WG and only some machines appear but not all, the subnet mask settings may be incorrect. Check the subnet mask settings on your hardcoded static NIC entries.  Typically for a limited number of machines like an AV WG subnet, they will be set up as a fractional subnet block within the .255 total and not the entire subnet (255.255.255.0). For 128 machines or only half that subnet, use 255.255.255.128. For only 64 IP's within the block, use 255.255.255.192.

  tm

    I've got one machine on my studio's network that can't seem to play well with others as far as networking is concerned.  We use Audio Vault Flex as our automation system, and at first I thought the problem was because I had neglected to "Enable NetBios over TCP/IP" on that machine, as is required by Flex.

    Well, that's enabled, and I still can't get it to behave.

    Basically, this one PC on the network (our traffic coordinator) will not access one of our on-air servers.  When you open the Network window, it sees it there, but when you click on it, you get the "You don't have access to that.  Contact your network administrator..." message.  Network administrator?  That would be ME!

    Funny thing is, this PC has a couple network drive maps that point to the same server, and they work just fine.

    Then, sometimes you'll open the Network window, and only about half the computers on the network will appear.

    All computers are on the same switch, the same workgroup, and have all sharing of drives enabled.

    I posted some of this tale of woe on the AV email list, but I thought, since it's a Windows issue, I'd put it out to the engineering community at large.

    Thanks in advance.

    Curt Yengst

    Engineer

    732-469-0991 x3127