[SBE] Questions about IP multicasting

Cowboy curt at cwf1.com
Sat Dec 23 15:35:39 EST 2017

 Let's see if we can fix this HTML formatting crap...

 On Friday 22 December 2017 05:24:18 pm Yengst, Curt wrote:
 > The routers we have might not be up to the task since I can't seem to find
 > anything in their interfaces for the join/leave requests you mentioned.

  Back when I was told "can't be done" but no one would tell me why at a
  level I could accept. Since then, I've learned a few things.
  Yes, you can intermix Cisco and HP, but you better know what you're doing !

  Every router along the path must be capable of routing multicast.
  Every switch along the path must also be multicast aware, and capable,
  and configured correctly for multicast.
  The last switch ( or router ) must be capable of creating the stream
  replication to the multicast group.
  The likelihood of this across internet is close to zero, even within the same
  ISP completely.
  It's a good deal more than just the right IP range, which itself isn't internet routable.

 > We currently don't have a
 > private and/or VPN connection established site-to-site; but as I learn more
 > about this, it looks like we'll be putting one in.

  A VPN, depending on type, might, maybe, don't hold your breath.

  On Saturday 23 December 2017 06:39:54 am Jonathan Solomon wrote:

 > That said, I?ve got software that can take the unicast source, use public
 > internet with high reliability, low overhead and nearest to zero latency
 > that can also output multicast at the destination.

  Sounds like the route I know I'd be looking hard at !
  It might be possible with iptables on a Linux box if you're really, really
  good with the Linux netfilter, but I'd have to study that a bit.

  The other approach I'd look at would be creating two unicast streams
  at the source, and sending them separately to the destinations.
  I do that now ( audio only ) across two completely independent paths
  for reliability. That works well.

--
Cowboy ( the other Curt )

http://cowboy.cwf1.com