[SBE] RCA Dummy Load

Gibson Prichard gibson at prichard.tv
Thu Apr 5 21:27:59 EDT 2018

Dan,
Most dummy loads are 50-ohms across a wide frequency band, so frequency
shouldn't matter too awful much. What is the connector on it? If it's a
SO-259, Type-N, or an EIA flange of some variety, does it test as 50-ohms?
The two-pin connector could have been a temperature sensor so that it could
act as an interlock and cutoff the transmitter if it overheated to keep
from damaging the load or the transmitter.
Most oil-filled loads use something like a light mineral oil, although I'm
sure back in the day there was a specific RCA-branded oil to fill it with.
Unless you intend to run it near its peak capabilities, I doubt the exact
variety of oil will matter, Here is a page from eHam about this very topic
- https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=70579.0;wap2

Gibson Prichard
Nashville, TN
gibson at prichard.tv

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 8:02 PM, <DanRapak at verizon.net> wrote:

> All:
>
> I'm looking for information on an old dummy load. I have an old RCA
liquid cooled dummy load that's been collecting dust for several years. It
is an RCA  P/N 216251. It's a nice unit with substantial heat fins. It's
rated at 1 KW continuous and 1.5 KW for 30 minutes. I'm about to put it in
service in the ham shack. However, I have no manual for it.

> My first question is, does anyone know what the frequency range of this
unit is?

> Second, there is a two-pin, military style Amphenol connector on the the
dummy load. What is the purpose of this connection?