[Techtoolslist] The Age Old - "What Eprom Programmer should Iget"question

Matt Rossiter matt at verio.net
Mon Nov 7 23:54:36 EST 2005

I just bought the Willem Eprom Programmer. I am hoping someone can help me
out with a couple of easy questions about setup. I think the version I have
is called "PCB3". I think this one has added support for earlier eproms
like 2716 and 2732.

Let's say I just want to do a simple blank check on a 2716 eprom.

Step 1: Verify that it's blank on my Data I/O just to make sure. - Ok it's
definitely blank.

Step2: Connect the Willems eprom programmer to my computer using the
Parallel port. Ok. All the lights are on and look good.

Step3: Bring up the Software. Click Device -> EPROM -> 27XX -> 2716 - Ok

Step4: Click the button that says "Willem" so that it changes to PCB3
(since that's the board I'm using) - OK

Step5: Set the Jumper switches according to the diagram in the software - Ok

Step6: Put in the chip and click "Blank Check"

Am I missing any steps? I keep getting "Device not Empty"

Furthermore if I read the eprom, store the data to a binary file and try to
verify it with Romident it fails.

Or if I load an eprom from a file and then compare it with a rom with the
same code it fails. I've tried this with 2716, 2732, 27c4001 and 27c010.

So I think I must be doing something wrong.

Could someone offer me some help?

Thanks!

Matt

_____