[Techtoolslist] 9010A Scripts, cont.

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Wed Mar 1 18:54:13 EST 2006

Still on scripts...anyone created a 9010a test for 5101s? Need to
write FX to every 256 bytes, then check, then do a check for odd
shorted bytes....I'm not a programmer though, I'll bet there are
shortcuts!

One hardware alternative is to use a second 5101 (2010 would work)
and make a simple socket that it can plug into an Eprom socket nearby
and then use the 4 high data bits and also the same selects as the
installed 5101 (soldered in way too often!). A glomper clip that
hooked up to the 5101 under test would work for grabbing the power
and chip selects. Then you could simply run the standard RAM checks
directly.

Just wasted almost two hours troubleshooting an Atari Superman MPU
(pin) that turned out to have a bad 5101, but it tested OK when I
just wrote and read a few bytes. The symptom was the display timing
was off...the display would only show 0, 1, 2, 3, 0, 1, 2, 3, 8, 9,
u, c, y, b, ?, 0, 1, 2, 3, 0, 1, 2...

That was tricky. It must have been a bad bit - and who would think
that Atari stored the score displays dynamically in the 5101?
Obviously not I. Sigh.