[Techtoolslist] OT: FIDE x64 and the future

James Bright james at quarterarcade.com
Mon Feb 23 13:52:38 EST 2009

The format for the output was documented. IIRC, though, there were also one
or two errors in the documentation. There was an alternative compiler that
someone created that documents these commands. It was at John's old ftp
site. I'm sure he has it somewhere. If you read that .BAS file, you can
learn about some other hidden/unpublished tricks.

I took the approach of creating a "pre-compiler" that dealt with include
files and such and then that got passed into the 9LC compiler because I
didn't want to have to re-write a compiler. Believe me, the thought did
cross my mind! Imagine being able to write something closer to C# that
could run on the 9010A :-)

But once I got FIDE to a point, I figured it was "good enough". I was
spending far more time developing FIDE than fixing boards! Although it was
a fun project.

I'll look into putting FIDE up on sourceforge.net some time this week. Then
others that want to take a crack at it can. Another approach that I had
considered was doing something like butchering #develop or some other IDE
to have a richer, color syntax highlighting IDE to write the test scripts
in.

JB