[Techtoolslist] Rebuilding a Fluke 9100A with a CF hard drive replacement after both a hard disk and floppy drive failure

techtools-steve techtools at arcadehacking.com
Wed Nov 7 19:04:40 EST 2012

This is a carry over from the vector list discussion...

I have a Fluke 9100A that died earlier this year. As bizarre as it
sounds, the floppy drive caught fire with one of the components burning
all the way through the floppy pcb before I could cut the power. I
pulled the dead floppy from the unit and the 9100 worked for another 2
weeks before the hard drive failed. I then had not one but two
difficult to replace components which needed to be sourced.

I was unable to find an original CANON MD350 floppy drive but came
across the info on iobium.com for converting a TEAC FD235GH.
Unfortunately, I was also unable to locate a TEAC floppy drive but the
technical description and 9100 schematics were sufficient to
successfully convert both a SAMSUNG SFD-321B (B=black face place) and
SONY MPF920-1 floppy for use in the 9100. I then located a used 40 MB
Quantum SCSI hard drive and a CF to SCSI adapter with a 128 MB card
which satisfied all of my storage requirements. Finally, I pulled the
V3.0 roms and installed a fresh set of V6.0 eproms at U46 and U47 and
modified the jumpers to accommodate the larger eproms.

Several weeks were spent trying to get the V6 software to install which
always ended with an "Error 205 loading /dd/rom/LEVEL1" on the SYS2
diskette. Initially I believed this might have been a comparability
issue with the replacement floppy drive I hacked together or the version
of TELEDISK I had used to create the floppies so I put the Fluke up on
the shelf until I had more info. Now I just read something John posted
about V6 images being corrupted so thought it worth pulling the Fluke
down and trying to load an earlier version of the Fluke software.

I reformatted the CF "SCSI drive" with the SERVICE 1.4 utility and
proceeded to load the V4 software from the
archive using the
/TTL/Test_Equipment/Fluke/9100A/System_DiscsRV4/SYSTEM4_1.zip media.
This worked and I can boot V4 from the CF drive successfully but need to
load the programmer and UUT disks.

The SYSTEM4_1.zip file did not contain any disk images beyond the basic
SYS1, SYS2, USR1 and USR2 so I'm at a loss to what I should download and
install next. Is there a specific version of the programmer and UUT
images I must match or are these optional disks interchangeable between
software versions? A pointer to the next appropriate image files would
be greatly appreciated!