[Techtoolslist] Fixing the 9100...

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Fri Nov 30 15:16:08 EST 2012

Two of my 9100s had no screen display, yet seemed to boot- so took the
top case off and starting probing with the voltmeter. Found +5 and +12,
but when I checked the +70 there was nothing on one, or very low on the
other - and one machine had a bit of a burnt smell to it. That machine
blew a tantalum surface mount cap, shorting the output of the switching
supply that generates the +70 as well as the isolated +5, +12, and -12
(there are relative to the "E" test point lug). This also took out the
driver transistors - which Digi-Key still stocks (bought ten to be safe).

To reduce the risk of future damage I lifted the end of the choke coil
that was closest to the power connector and installed a 20mm fuse holder
in series with it and installed a 1A fuse there in the hopes that the
fuse will blow before the system smokes up when the next capacitor
shorts out - note I checked all the tantalum with the ESR meter and the
rest on all my 9100s check fine.

I'll make up a page on this with pictures in a few days and jam it up on
flippers on the fluke.html page.

www.flippers.com