[Techtoolslist] Using the 9010 to fill a block of RAM

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Wed Jan 28 20:06:57 EST 2015

I'm hoping one of you code jockeys knows a simple program for filling a
block of memory on the 9010 - in this case with FFs.

I'm looking for something like:

*Begin at address xxxxh write FFh, **
**
**Increment counter by 1 store, **
**
**Compare counter with yyyyh - if equal goto Finish**
**
**Loop back to Begin**
**
**Finish*

I think I just about wrote the program, but it would take me up to a
couple of hours to get it to work (I'm a heck of a lot better on hardware).

Why do I want this? Well, I am finding that the AnyPin device we sell is
loaded with 00s, and the early Williams games don't seem to like that,
so I want to load them with FFs and see if that works better. A 5101 is
only 4 bits wide, so I made a simple adapter that puts a second 5101 in
parallel (address and selects) with the original and the four additional
data lines (D4 - D7) go to a Glomper clip that fits over a handy ROM to
get those connections. Now I can test the 5101 in the game using the
standard built in RAM tests.

Thanks!