[Techtoolslist] Galaxian Fluke 9100A signatures

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Thu Jul 9 10:22:32 EDT 2015

Hi Andre,

Your Galaxian information is of some interest for those working on that
game. To get the signatures you can use RomSum from William to generate
the various signatures quickly for your ROM images:

http://romident.coinopflorida.com

However at the moment it only shows the Fluke 9010 sigs, although I
thought the 9100 would generate regular 8 bit Checksums...

I watched your video and it is a good start at letting folks know a bit
about the 9100. One suggestion - the starting point (Reset vector) you
speak off (0000h) is just for the Z80 (and 8080), other CPUs store the
reset vector elsewhere, so I would just say something like that this
vector depends on the CPU (pod) under test.

If you can show how to program into the 9100 the tests you show on your
Galaxian board that would help generate more interest in using that
incredibly powerful tool.

A sequence of tests could be:

Setup pod
Bus test
ROM test first as a group, then individually if the group fails
RAM test first as a group, then individually if the group fails
Video RAM test first as a group, then individually if the group fails
I/O pins (this is where it gets tricky!)

The annoying part about the 9100 is the programming language has not
proven popular with enough people to get folks to share their program
scripts so we could get a core of programs for people to build from.

Many of the tests you describe on the 9100 can be done on the 9010, the
power of the 9100 is if you can write scripts that the machine stores on
board and you then run them as a computer aided diagnostic tool. I would
love to use the 9100 more, but I don't repair enough boards to then want
to spend the time learning the 9100 language enough to generate service
scripts.

Sharing 9100 scripts for testing individual components and the basic
building blocks would only help everyone so that is what I propose.

For example - a script to test the 6821 and 6520. These two ICs are very
similar I/O devices and share almost all functions. I'd like to see a
script which allows one to set the I/O ports to inputs/outputs and read
or write to those ports (or individual pins) with a followup script for
the expansion pod to both input and read outputs of the logic board I/O
ports. Thus one could set up a test bed and use the script as a building
block to test the boards you are interested in.

Other I/O devices - 8255, 6532, simple TTL I/O could then follow.

Then examples of how to write scripts for doing the board preliminary
tests would be of benefit to the group of folks who play with the 9100.

John :-#)#