[Techtoolslist] Fluke 9105

Andrew Welburn andy at andysarcade.net
Thu Nov 12 13:01:51 EST 2015

On 12/11/2015 08:45, Tony Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Andrew Welburn <andy at andysarcade.net> wrote:
>> A 9105 is just a 9100 without the hard disk + controller, plus an extra floppy drive.
>
> I'm assuming the SCSI controller is a card, is a custom design and is
> unobtainium like the video card.

Yep you got it :) there's two types, the first SCSI standard (1.0?)
fitted to the 9100A and the later (2.0?) SCSI card from the 9100FT. I'm
not sure if the later (faster) card works in the 9100A or not.

>> The 9100 does not come with a video card as standard, it was optional, so most 9100's you see cannot edit.
>
> Is a 9105 plus video card a possible config?   Which would allow editing?
>
> Thanks

  I don't know if you could do that, i'm fairly sure the editor or OS
would probably kick up a complaint about not seeing a HD to work from.
Heck, the thing wont launch into the editing suite without the correct
keyboard attached, so go figure. It could be fairly painful to get it to
boot up and run the editor first, then you'd probably have to keep
swapping disks in and out for all the different functions.

  Knowing Fluke, i'd hazard a guess that they wouldn't even allow that
sort of craziness to happen.

  I used my Fluke 9100A from the front panel for 6 years before i found
a videocard. I found a keyboard at about the same time, and then i was
off and editing. I finally got a 9100FT and editing is now actually easy
and fun to do. The 9100A is - lets be honest here - really fucking slow
and painful to edit on, but i wrote all my stuff in a 10 year period
with that achingly slow typematic rate and ancient disk access
controller setup. Once you get an FT, its like night and day, but i
soldiered on the old way in the absence of anything else :)

enjoy

Andrew Welburn
http://www.andys-arcade.com