[Techtoolslist] Fluke 9105

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Thu Nov 12 13:43:45 EST 2015

On 11/12/2015 10:01 AM, Andrew Welburn wrote:
> On 12/11/2015 08:45, Tony Jones wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Andrew Welburn
>> <andy at andysarcade.net> wrote:
>>> A 9105 is just a 9100 without the hard disk + controller, plus an
>>> extra floppy drive.
>>
>> I'm assuming the SCSI controller is a card, is a custom design and is
>> unobtainium like the video card.
>
> Yep you got it :) there's two types, the first SCSI standard (1.0?)
> fitted to the 9100A and the later (2.0?) SCSI card from the 9100FT.
> I'm not sure if the later (faster) card works in the 9100A or not.
>
>>> The 9100 does not come with a video card as standard, it was
>>> optional, so most 9100's you see cannot edit.
>>
>> Is a 9105 plus video card a possible config?   Which would allow
>> editing?
>>
>> Thanks
>
>  I don't know if you could do that, i'm fairly sure the editor or OS
> would probably kick up a complaint about not seeing a HD to work from.
> Heck, the thing wont launch into the editing suite without the correct
> keyboard attached, so go figure. It could be fairly painful to get it
> to boot up and run the editor first, then you'd probably have to keep
> swapping disks in and out for all the different functions.
>
>  Knowing Fluke, i'd hazard a guess that they wouldn't even allow that
> sort of craziness to happen.
>
>  I used my Fluke 9100A from the front panel for 6 years before i found
> a videocard. I found a keyboard at about the same time, and then i was
> off and editing. I finally got a 9100FT and editing is now actually
> easy and fun to do. The 9100A is - lets be honest here - really
> fucking slow and painful to edit on, but i wrote all my stuff in a 10
> year period with that achingly slow typematic rate and ancient disk
> access controller setup. Once you get an FT, its like night and day,
> but i soldiered on the old way in the absence of anything else :)
>
> enjoy
>
> Andrew Welburn
> http://www.andys-arcade.com

Along with what Andy said, he has a great support  page on the 9100 on
his domain:

http://www.andys-arcade.com/personal/tech/fluke9100/index.htm

A most excellent resource! Also look up chatter on the mail list about
replacing the hard drive with solid state units using two different SCSI
to Flash memory card adapters.

Lastly - I am pretty sure that a video card for the 9100 would not be
beyond someone here redesigning and selling to the list - I already have
a couple (9100 and 9100FT versions). There is also an adapter design to
enable folks to use the old PC keyboard on the 9100 video card.

I wish I had the time to get more involved with this stuff, it is fun! I
have a small pile of 9100s (four or five at least) that need just a
minimum of TLC to get running (like a couple of hours at the most each),
and I would love to see about speeding them up by replacing the original
68000 CPU with something like the 68020 upgrades that were available
years ago. I do have two odd cards that have 68010s (AIR) on them that I
haven't figured out quite what they do - these appear to be some sort of
upgrade for the 9100. My problem is time, there isn't enough for all my
projects!