[Techtoolslist] Speeding up the 9100?

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Tue Dec 8 03:00:11 EST 2015

On 12/07/2015 4:39 PM, John Robertson wrote:
> On 12/07/2015 4:30 PM, John Robertson wrote:
>> On 12/07/2015 4:25 PM, John Robertson wrote:
>>> Seeing as we are talking a bit about the 9100 - has anyone looked
>>> into speeding one of these up? Used to be there were speedup kits
>>> for old Apple and Atari computers that ran the 68000 (9100A uses the
>>> 68000) that involved a 68010, 68020, or 68030 and some glue...
>>>
>>> http://atariage.com/forums/topic/172961-was-16mhz-the-fastest-68000-accelerator-ever-made-for-st-line/
>>>

>>> Might be fun for someone with some spare time!
>>>
>>> John :-#)#
>> Found the Pak 68030 info: http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/pak3
>>
>> This just cries out for a FPGA! Right...
>>
>> John :-#)#
>
> (c't = a german magazine about 'Computer Technics'. Check out their
> website ) <http://www.heise.de>
>
> And a bit further and I can't do any more - the source for the PAK68/3
> is found in these German Computer Technics magazine articles - and I
> can't read German!
>
> https://shop.heise.de/katalog/doppel-pak
>
> https://shop.heise.de/katalog/alles-unter-kontrolle-2
>
> https://shop.heise.de/katalog/falcon-on-your-mind
>
> Cost a couple of Euros each. Includes source code for GALs, etc.
>
> So, a really FAST 9100 may be possible...using CF (thanks to Andy and
> his pal), next someone needs to create a video card...
>
> John :-#)#

Further exploration has led to the German Atari support page, where they
provide the schematics, and code for the PAK68/3 which is a plug in
68030 replacement for the 68000 CPU. As far as I can tell this would
give you speeds similar to the 9100FT.

https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwrsonline.de%2Fpak3.html&edit-text=

Anyone game to work with me on this project over the next while?