[Techtoolslist] Housekeeping notice: Change to from_is address format.

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Tue Feb 2 00:33:48 EST 2016

It has come to my attention that at least one person is having trouble
posting to the list. I did find this setting explanation:

/*from_is_list*//(general): Replace the From: header address with the
list's posting address to mitigate issues stemming from the original
From: domain's DMARC or similar policies./

/Several protocols now in wide use attempt to ensure that use of the
domain in the author's address (ie, in the From: header field) is
authorized by that domain. These protocols may be incompatible with
common list features such as footers, causing participating email
services to bounce list traffic merely because of the address in the
From: field. //*This has resulted in members being unsubscribed despite
being perfectly able to receive mail.*/

/The following actions are applied to all list messages when selected
here. To apply these actions only to messages where the domain in the
From: header is determined to use such a protocol, see the
//dmarc_moderation_action
<https://pairlist7.pair.net/mailman/admin/techtoolslist/?VARHELP=privacy/sender/dmarc_moderation_action>//settings
under Privacy options... -> Sender filters. /

/Settings:/

/No/
    /Do nothing special. This is appropriate for anonymous lists. It is
    appropriate for dedicated announcement lists, unless the From:
    address of authorized posters might be in a domain with a DMARC or
    similar policy. It is also appropriate if you choose to use
    dmarc_moderation_action other than Accept for this list./
/Munge From/
    /This action replaces the poster's address in the From: header with
    the list's posting address and adds the poster's address to the
    addresses in the original Reply-To: header./
/Wrap Message/
    /Just wrap the message in an outer message with the From: header
    containing the list's posting address and with the original From:
    address added to the addresses in the original Reply-To: header and
    with Content-Type: message/rfc822. This is effectively a one message
    MIME format digest./

//

/The transformations for anonymous_list are applied before any of these
actions. It is not useful to apply actions other than No to an anonymous
list, and if you do so, the result may be surprising. /

/The Reply-To: header munging actions below interact with these actions
as follows: /

/first_strip_reply_to = Yes will remove all the incoming Reply-To:
addresses but will still add the poster's address to Reply-To: for all
three settings of reply_goes_to_list which respectively will result in
just the poster's address, the poster's address and the list posting
address or the poster's address and the explicit reply_to_address in the
outgoing Reply-To: header. If first_strip_reply_to = No the poster's
address in the original From: header, if not already included in the

/These actions, whether selected here or via //dmarc_moderation_action
<https://pairlist7.pair.net/mailman/admin/techtoolslist/?VARHELP=privacy/sender/dmarc_moderation_action>//,
do not apply to messages in digests or archives or sent to usenet via
the Mail<->News gateways. /

/If //dmarc_moderation_action
<https://pairlist7.pair.net/mailman/admin/techtoolslist/?VARHELP=privacy/sender/dmarc_moderation_action>//applies
to this message with an action other than Accept, that action rather
than this is applied/

and I have changed the setting from No to Munge From.

I hope that fixes the problem!

If anyone know why I should NOT make this change please let me know via
email!

Thanks,