[Techtoolslist] fluke 9010a not booting

Grant Goodes grant.goodes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 10:23:58 EDT 2017

   I have a friend with a "dead" 9010a that acts just as yours does:
   Power-on gives the beep, but no display.  It is easy to confirm if the
   display is good, as it has its own self-test modes, selectable by
   jumpers on the display's daugher-board (see the Service Manual section
   on the display for how to do that).
   As you say, the Service Manual doesn't cover the 3A firmware (and
   hardware -- no piggyback ROM board), which is annoying.
   Although I have a functional 9010a, until very recently (last month, in
   fact) I didn't have a z80 pod, so we couldn't perform most of the tests
   that the Service Manual describes, and my friend decided to just
   shotgun various ICs on the board (remove, test, and then socket a
   replacement chip), but that didn't find any problems.  When we finally
   were able to use my 9010a/z80 setup to test my friend's unit, we
   quickly found that the 0-3FFF and 4000-7FFF ROMs were colliding,
   meaning that they both had the same contents and checksum, so we
   determined that the bank-select logic via the 82S123 PROM in U62 was
   faulty.
   Thanks to the kind assistance of a list-member, I got the image for
   U62, and was able to burn a new PROM.  I have provided the PROM
   image-file and some diagnostic information to John who has uploaded it
   to the FTP site, so if you have that problem, you can fix it.
   Alas, this did NOT fix my friend's board, so like you we are suspecting
   the watchdog logic.  We have yet to do another debugging session to (a)
   verify that the ROM bank-select logic is fixed and (b) follow the
   watchdog testing section.
   Hope that helps.
   grant..