[Techtoolslist] What's happening with old 2716/2732

Andrew Welburn andy at andysarcade.net
Tue Oct 25 10:51:57 EDT 2022

I have worked on hundreds and hundreds of Taito space invader pcbs over 25 years and never seen any fully blank EPROMs.

Are you sure your programmer is of sufficient current to read them properly? Some usb programmers will work with a narrow selection of 2716’s and claim compatibility with others - but they’re really not up to it.

I use a Data I/O 29b programmer, I only use a modern usb programmer for 27128 and bigger as you cannot guarantee results for devices smaller than this, usb programmers lack the current and I have seen too many people discard 2716’s determining them ‘bad’ because their usb programmer has trouble with them. I put them in the data I/o and they work fine. I’ve done a bunch of tests of this with my own TL866II+.

Andrew Welburn (mobile)