[Techtoolslist] Fluke 9000 Pod (Z80) UUT ribbon cable

Tony Jones tony at tonyjones.com
Tue Jan 3 20:12:30 EST 2023

On Mon, Jan 2, 2023 at 11:33 AM Greg Baumgratz <voyager at galaxian.com> wrote:

> Happy New Year to all!
>
> There's not much in my TTL archive about this, and varying
> opinions/options upon web searches but I wanted to see what the current
> thought are on this topic?  I have a Z80 pod that works depending on how
> you position the pod/cable.  If it's working you can twist the cable
> slightly at the pod and it will stop working. I have pulled it apart and
> did notice that the upper level ground foil did split and I bridged this
> will wire/solder.  Still seems to be doing failing.  The 40 pin dip side
> seems fine - any options?  Has anyone re-terminated the pod side?  Any
> replacements available?  I see some pages reference just using a 40 pin
> flat cable - has anyone tried this and if so what are your experiences?

I have a few NOS z80 cables but I'm not really interested in selling.
Sorry.  I don't know where else you'd source NOS replacements.

Long ago Paul Swan made an adapter PCB.  Info on KLOV IIRC but like other
efforts used normal 0.100 header pins,  which is a bad idea IMO as they
will damage the UUT socket.

If I was making one I'd use the Aries headers:
https://media.digikey.com/photos/Aries/20-600-10.jpg     They sell them in
fork (pictured) and leg.   I always figured you could wire one up to
exactly reproduce the dual/grounded cable Fluke cable and then pot the top
of the Aries socket   Work for sure but I suspect there was a fair amount
of manual labor that went into the original Fluke cables.

Good luck!

Tony