[Techtoolslist] Logic analysis and the Atari Test connector?

davids at oz.net davids at oz.net
Wed May 24 17:48:02 EDT 2023

In preparation for this I was looking at the missile command source code
from https://6502disassembly.com/va-missile-command/ looking at the reset
vector and how the self test is started:
And looking over the self test it (at a high level)
Starts the pokey growling
Lights player 1 start light (which I don't have connected on the test bench)
Reads the inputs port (0x4900) and watches for the VBLANK signal, spinning
until it sees it.
Feed the watchdog
Change the poke sound to a "pure tone and lower volume"
Test the zero page and stack ram

This got me thinking, I am never hearing anything but the growl, so I let it
run in self test for a minute, then use the 9010 to read some zero page
values, all 0.... Hmm, so its not getting to the memory test.

Used the 9010 to read 0x4900 and it is always returning BF, which doesn't
make sense as the vblank should be causing it to change (and the self test
switch does change it so the read is working).

The screen looks fine so the VBLANK is working.

Tossed my HP logic comparator onto the 244 used to read the inputs and it
reported pin 9 bad (which happens to be the pin that VBLANK is read
through).

Piggybacked a new 244 and self test started up fine, and game mode works.

So it was all stalled on waiting for that vblank test which wasn't coming
through.

Still going to look at setting up the LA on the connector for future use but
this one is fixed.

David