[Town Meeting] Message from Town Webmaster

Rich Carreiro rlcarr at rlcarr.com
Thu Apr 30 16:03:46 EDT 2009

FYI...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:53:22 -0400
From: Joan Roman <JRoman at town.arlington.ma.us>

Dear Town Meeting Members,

It was a pleasure to meet and speak with so many of you last night. It was
fun to personally meet with some of you who I’ve shared a “virtual
relationship” with over the past 2 years as my role as Web Content Manager
for the Town of Arlington.

I’m sending this email as a follow up to the postcards I handed out prior
to Town Meeting about the Request/Answer Center, Reverse911, and Town of
Arlington Notices. You may have picked a card up from the table in the back
of the room. There were many members I didn’t get a chance to speak with
or did so briefly. I hope now I can steal a bit more of your time to request
your assistance in spreading the word on these important constituent
services.

This email also allows me to expand a bit on these 3 services, what they do,
how they currently serve the community, and ultimately how residents can
‘Get connected and stay connected to Town Hall.’

Request/Answer Center at arlingtonma.gov
This online customer service center allows residents to search an Answerbase
of commonly asked questions, make a request for Town services, ask a Town
related question, and the ability to track their Requests/Questions in their
own account. Since its launch in February 2008, our Answers have been viewed
over 86,000 times, 2,000 Requests have been made, yet only around 300
questions have been asked.

We like to think residents are getting many of their Questions answered
before having to call Town Hall or ask a Question through the system.
We’re pleased with the results so far, and want to increase awareness of
this service.

Users can find the Request/Answer Center at arlingtonma.gov

Reverse 911
The Town recently implemented a Reverse 911 system to alert residents, via
telephone, in the event of an emergency or to pass along a message of
importance. Due to the multiple options for telecommunications not all
residents are in the system. The Reverse 911 system collects some land line
phone numbers, but does not collect cell and internet phone providers.

To complete our database of phone numbers we need your help.

If you have already received an automated phone message from the Town you
are already in the system. If not, we strongly advise you to register at
least one phone number. You are able to register multiple phone numbers.

Users can learn more and register online at arlingtonma.gov/reverse911

Town of Arlington Notices
This email distribution list sends timely news and notices from Town Hall.
Notices include public health and public works alerts, election information,
office closings, trash & recycling alerts, and special Town related events.
Many of you are on this list already. If you are not, subscribe now.

We currently have 1,760 subscribers. This number has doubled in the last
year by “creative” marketing throughout the Town site, annual Town
Census, within the email Notices themselves, and word of mouth. However, we
need to pull in more residents and with your help I know we can do that.

If each Town Meeting member got 1 new subscriber to join, that would be
about 250 new subscribers or 15% increase. If you got 2, that would be a 30%
increase, 3 new subscribers and we’re looking at a 45% increase. You see
where I’m going with this. The power of many to spread the word is real
and I hope you reach out to your constituents to help increase our
subscription numbers.

Residents can subscribe at arlingtonma.gov/subscriber

Last night, I learned many of you have availed yourself of these services
and have helped spread the word. For that, I thank you. Your support got us
to the success we are enjoying today. Your continued support and the
addition of more advocates spreading the word on these services is vital in
keeping Arlington residents informed and connected to Town Hall.

Thanks for your time and continued commitment to Town service.
If you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to ask, or check
the Request/Answer Center, it may have already been answered.

Best,

Joan Roman
Web Content Manager
Town of Arlington, MA