[Town Meeting] Substitute Motion (Article 35)

IvyEmporiums at aol.com IvyEmporiums at aol.com
Sun May 10 00:26:42 EDT 2009

Dear colleagues,

This is a substitute motion to use a portion of the 200th's surplus to
re-fund the depleted Uncle Sam Committee. I worked with the 200th
Committee in 2007 designing our 200th buttons using the 200th logo as well as the
bookmarks distributed all year at the Robbins Library, the color posters for
the kickoff dinner, and the placard for the Town Day booth. Both 200th
Committee co-chairs (Pam Meister and Roly Chaput) have told me these 200th
"souvenir" items I designed were attractive and useful in helping to promote
our 200th.

I want to specially thank Roly for his help with this amendment. When
we discussed it, he suggested I check with the Finance Committee, which I
did, to outline specific uses for the transferred funds. I also consulted
with Ms. Rice and counsel is in agreement, Thanks to our 200th Committee,
we can re-fund the Uncle Sam Committee so it can embark on substantial
projects, provide the selected amounts for the library and Historical Society,
and still return funds to the town.

All Uncle Sam souvenir items are designed with the intention they be
sold to townspeople and tourists to make money for the town. Incidentally,
the Committee's Alan Hovhaness Centennial website (hovhanesscentennial.org)
is already up. Between our famous Arlington composer (new) and Uncle Sam
(old), the Uncle Sam Committee has its work cut out for it. This substitute
motion keeps Uncle Sam alive without requesting funds from the town during
a sparse time. My heartfelt thanks to the 200th.

e-regards,

Laurence O. McKinney
Chairman
Uncle Sam Committee