[Town Meeting] ANNOUNCE

Charlie Foskett charlie.foskett at foskettco.com
Thu May 6 14:12:03 EDT 2010

Fellow Town Meeting Members:

Monday May 10 is the Special Town Meeting (STM). Articles 4 and 5 are
capital project articles. Since these articles have to be addressed in the
context of the funds available for the total Capital Plan of the Town and in
order to facilitate the efficiency of Town Meeting, I have discussed the
following with Moderator John Leone, FinCom Chair Allan Tosti, Town Manager
Brian Sullivan and PTBC Chair John Cole.

1. At the time of the STM articles, I will present the Capital
Planning Committee Report in its entirety regarding all expenditures in the
Capital Budget Article 53 and in STM Articles 4 & 5, within the allotted 10
minutes. I will also be available for questions.

2. Mr. Cole will be available to discuss details of the Fire Station
and Community Safety Articles.

3. We will vote on Articles 4 and 5 of the Special Town Meeting.

4. After the business of the STM is completed, we will adjourn the
STM.

5. After the STM is adjourned, with the prior permission of the
Members, the Meeting will move directly into the Regular Town Meeting and
vote on Articles 53 (The Capital Budget) and Article 54 (Rescission of
Unused Capital Debt).

The purpose of this procedure is to discuss the Capital Budget and Capital
Plan only once, not twice. If we don't do this, we will wind up discussing
these items Monday night and then again at a future night. By taking this
action we will be accelerating, not postponing the capital articles and
hopefully making things more efficient.

The Moderator has advised me that the way to accomplish this is to formally
make a motion, before the opening of the Special Town Meeting, that all
articles and business of the Regular Town meeting other than Articles 53 and
54 be "laid upon the table". Then, when the STM adjourns they will
automatically be the business before the meeting and can be voted in
whatever way the Meeting chooses. So, I plan to make the motion at the
opening of the regular Annual Town Meeting Monday night to seek the
permission of the Meeting to accomplish this.

The Report of the Capital Planning Committee has been distributed to Town
Meeting on May 5th, and may be found at the back of Town Hall. It will also
be on the Finance Committee Website today, at
http://www.arlingtonfincom.com/ . It will also be posted on the Town
website under the section
http://www.arlingtonma.gov/Public_Documents/ArlingtonMA_Financial/budget/ind
ex within a day or so .

With respect to Articles 4 and 5, we will be making substitute motions using
the articles in the back of the Capital Planning Committee Report, versus
the earlier version in the Finance Committee Report. There may still be
some late breaking adjustment to these substitute motions, but they will, in
general, represent a significant reduction compared to the earlier estimated
costs. Mr. Cole will be available to comment on the details behind these
changes.

Please feel free to contact me of you have any questions.

Charlie Foskett

Chair, Capital Planning Committee

TMM Pct 8

Charles T. Foskett