[Town Meeting] Substitute Motion Article 70 - Uncle Sam

IvyEmporiums at aol.com IvyEmporiums at aol.com
Thu May 6 16:27:13 EDT 2010

Dear Colleagues,
I offer this amendment to Article 70, Appropriation/Uncle Sam Market Study
and Promotion. We had requested $2,500 but on closer inspection, Uncle
Sam cannot disburse over $2,000 a year. A future article might enlarge the
scope and budget of the Committee but that’s another matter.
Uncle Sam is supported by a revolving fund, hopefully to generate revenue,
but Sam’s pockets are empty because after a $1,500 appropriation eight
years ago, $500 was paid for some forgotten artwork and $700 in ‘06 to wash the
statue. In 2008, there remained less than $375.00. Everything since
has been covered by me personally, but it’s time put some money back in the
account and start planning. If we’re not ready for our “Battle Road”
visitors, private enterprise will fill the vacuum and we’ll end up with
nothing. We may not be as famous, but most of those drawn to Lexington Common or
the Concord bridge will come through Arlington, and we have a national
monopoly on “The Home of the Real Uncle Sam”. It’s an untapped natural
resource and it’s time to exploit, baby, exploit.
Globe subscribers will enjoy Brock Parker’s article in the Globe West
section of the Boston Globe today. If not, cut and paste this to your search
bar or enter ”Arlington Uncle Sam” in Google.
_http://www.boston.com/yourtown/arlington/articles/2010/05/06/resident_wants
_arlington_to_market_its_famous_native_son_uncle_sam/_
(http://www.boston.com/yourtown/arlington/articles/2010/05/06/resident_wants_arlington_to_market_
its_famous_native_son_uncle_sam/)
This amendment drops the amount we seek to $500.00, well within the
limits, and reducing it to a vote of confidence, a new start for local patriots.
Our town spends more in a month to rent a Xerox machine. In the Globe
article I grimly suggested we probably wouldn’t get a penny, but for $500.00 we
can move forward without fear of looking dismissive of our icon and our
efforts. It will allow us to have items ready for the eventual Battle Road
planning group mentioned by Clarissa Rowe. However, if you read the
article, I respectfully disagree with town historian Richard Duffy. He wished we
had Uncle Sam’s cabin, but I think it’s better this way. We’d have to
staff a replica and insure it, but we can put “Arlington, Home of the Real
Uncle Sam” on decals, sports gear, t-shirts, decals, collectibles and more.
Every item promotes the town just as much as it promotes Uncle Sam, which is
the idea of course.
I hear the clatter of clogs. “The tourist are coming, the tourists are
coming”. We stopped the redcoats once. Now let’s get the greenbacks before
they make it to Lexington.
Sincerely,
Laurence O. McKinney