[Voxnovus] Calling for Violinists for a unique recording project

Vox Novus List voisey-i at voxnovus.com
Sun Jun 5 13:26:25 EDT 2011

Douglas DaSilva is looking for violinists to participate in a recording
project:

He says:

Many years ago (circa 1946) in Paraiba (North-Eastern Brazil), my Uncle, Tio
Ze, gave my father a generous gift. My father had mentioned that he would
love to study violin; but being a student in the seminary, he had no money
to buy one. Tio Ze bought a violin (Breton, circa 1820) from a friend and
gave it to my father.

My father brought this violin with him to America where he did some studies
at Peabody Conservatory and kept it with him through jobs, marriage and
children.
A few years ago my father put me in charge of this family heirloom and I
have managed to learn to play "Twinkle Twinkle" in 3 different keys.

While in my charge, I have asked various violinists to try it out just so
that I could hear what it should sound like. It has a warm, full sound.

The other day, violinist Greg Durozel was asked to play it and I happened to
have my video camera with me. When I showed my dad this 55 second video the
next night, he was almost brought to tears and asked me to burn a DVD of it
so that he can share it with his brother Ze (age 90) in Brazil this August.

This sparked the idea that I could make a more significant DVD by asking a
whole bunch of violinists to play it. So far I've recorded 5 violinists
performing on My Dad's Violin, including Conway Kuo performing my piece
"Katzbalger" at the May 15, Composer's Voice concert!
So, I am asking you if I can film you playing my dad's violin. You can play
anything, a scale, an exercise, an excerpt (I'll can find a simple piece or
even compose a piece for you to play!). I only need to film between 30 and
60 seconds.

Please let me know if you are interested. I'll come to you. I'll bring the
violin, by camera and a microphone.

This is a gift for my father and his brother and is intended for personal
use and I will not be posting this anywhere public (like YouTube) without
the permission of each performer. I'm sorry that this last part sounds
lawyerly. I just don't want anyone to be hesitant about joining this
project.
This has to be done soon since he is leaving for Brazil in the very
beginning of August.
If interested please contact me at DouglasDaSilva at VoxNovus.com

Sincerely,

Douglas DaSilva
DouglasDaSilva at VoxNovus.com