[Voxnovus] NM421 > January 12, 2013

Robert Voisey (Vox Novus) RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com
Tue Jan 15 06:04:36 EST 2013

Can't view this email properly? Click here for the online version
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-01-12.htm>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421> New Music for the 21st Century -
new music for the 21st century -

< <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/12-01-05.htm> January 12, 2013
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-01-19.htm> >

Menu

VOX NOVUS NEWSLETTER - New Music for the 21st Century

> POSTCARD: The Conductor

CALENDAR OF UPCOMMING VOX NOVUS EVENTS
ANNOUNCEMENTS

> PERFORMANCE: 60x60 Dance - Montreal Canada

> RESULTS: Selections for Conway Kuo

OPPORTUNITIES

> Fifteen Minutes of Fame - call for scores

> Composer's Site - composer opportunities

NM421 ARCHIVES

Vox Novus Projects

<http://www.voxnovus.com> Vox Novus
<http://www.60x60.com> 60x60
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/> Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/> Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/resources/American_Composer_Timeline.htm> American
Composer Timeline
<http://www.composerssite.com/> Composer's Site
<http://www.composerssite.com/> NM421 - New Music for the 21st Century

NM421 Archives

- January 05, 2013 <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/12-12-15.htm>
2012
- December 29, 2012 <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/12-12-15.htm>
- December 22, 2012 <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/12-12-15.htm>
- December 15, 2012 <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/12-12-15.htm>
- December 08, 2012 <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/12-12-08.htm>
- December 01, 2012 <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/12-12-01.htm>
- November 24, 2012 <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/12-11-24.htm>
- November 17, 2012 <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/12-11-17.htm>
- November 10, 2012 <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/12-11-10.htm>

Announcements

Selections for the
Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame:
with Conway Kuo

<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame_logo-250.jpg>

eding for one-minute viola pieces composed for Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame to be
performed Sunday, February 24, 2013 for the Composer's Voice concert series
at the Jan Hus Church in New York City. After receiving many submissions
from around the globe, we are proud to announce the composers selected for
Fifteen Minutes of Fame with Conway Kuo.
The composers selected include:
Spyros Banos, David Bohn, Erik Branch, Jesse Alexander Brown, Nuha Dolby,
Michael Gatonska, Bruce Goble, Brian Kelly, Scott Anthony Moore, Elvira
Muratore, Dafina Zeqiri Nushi, Emma Ruth Richards, Aurelia Scotto, Pierluigi
Tanzi, and Luca Vanneschi

You can find more out at:
<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Conway_Kuo/2013>
http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Conway_Kuo/2013

The Conductor

The Conductor
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/postcard/13-01-12-The_Conductor.jpg>

Famed conductor Herbert von Karajan was so dedicated to perfecting his craft
that during the early 1960s he could often be found wielding his baton as a
nighttime traffic cop on Potsdamer Platz in central Berlin. His brisk
tempos, however, led to one calamitous vehicular incident after another, and
the Berliner Landespolizei finally had to boot him off the force.
<http://www.davidgunn.org> - David Gunn - www.davidgunn.org

Opportunities

Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo.jpg>

Fifteen Minutes of Fame

CALL FOR WORKS

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: One Minute Waltzes
CROSSISLAND clarinet/cello/piano trio
(or any subset)

Deadline January 20, 2013

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/CrossIsland_with_Tom_Piercy.jpg>

Vox Novus is calling for one-minute waltzes composed for Fifteen Minutes of
Fame: CROSS ISLAND
Cellist Suzanne Mueller and pianist Elinor Abrams Zayas, pianistand
clarinetist Thomas Piercy. Works can be written for clarinet/cello/piano
trio (or any subset) All works must be 60 seconds or less. Creative takes on
the theme are welcome (and remember that one colloquial definition is "a
breeze: something that presents no difficulties and can be accomplished with
little effort").

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/#13-01-20> Click here for
more details

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Jenny Greene, soprano
(voice & piano)

Deadline January 24, 2013

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Jenny_Greene.jpg>

Vox Novus is calling for one-minute pieces composed for
Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Jenny Greene, soprano w/piano to be performed
Sunday, March 24, 2013 for the Composer's Voice concert series at the Jan
Hus Church in New York City. The one-minute pieces are to be written
specifically for this project, which will be performed by Jenny Greene and
her piano accompanist. Jenny Greene's range is from middle C to Eb above
high C. You are welcome to include coloratura, as well as longer lyrical
vocal passages. Dramatic works and extended vocal techniques are strongly
encouraged.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/#13-01-24> Click here for
more details
Composer's Site <http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Composers_Site_logo-250.jpg>

Composition Competition for Witold Lutoslawski's 100th Birthday

Web site:
http://www.lutoslawski.org.pl/
Expiration of Opportunity:
Fri, 2013-01-25
Entry Fee:
50.00
Currency:
Euro (EUR)

Composition Competition for Witold Lutoslawski's 100th Birthday

Published date:

read more
<http://composerssite.com/content/composition-competition-witold-lutos%C5%82
awski%E2%80%99s-100th-birthday>

<http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/cpccExpiringOpportunities/~4/ZtTixQxttR8?utm
_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email>

Calendar

<http://www.voxnovus.com/calendar> Calendar of Vox Novus Events

Upcomming Performances

60x60 Dance <http://www.voxnovus.com/img/60x60_Dance_logo_2010_small.jpg>

60x60 Dance
(2012) Canada Mix

Wednesday January 16, 2013

60x60 is one frenetic hour of performance

Music, dance and theatre students to stage a fast-paced hour of minute-long
works

Sixty musical works, 60 seconds or less, played in succession for a total of
60 minutes, with a giant clock keeping count.

That's 60x60, an event concept that's spread across the world in the decade
since it was created to showcase a maximum amount of new music to the
largest possible audience. Initially featuring music only, the format lends
itself to collaborations with artists from other disciplines such as video
and dance, each work of which also lasts 60 seconds.

On January 16, Concordia's departments of Music, Theatre and Contemporary
Dance will join forces at the D.B. Clarke Theatre to present 60x60 ? Dance ?
Theatre 2013.

"It's a multi-sensory production performance," says Eldad Tsabary, a
lecturer in the music department and former Canadian director of 60x60 who
brought the event to Concordia.

"The opportunity to work with artists of other media is very inspiring," he
says. "It's interesting to see dance and electroacoustic students discussing
and using the same terms - such as 'texture' - but meaning different things.
This process expands their concepts of creativity."

A dozen of the 60 juried compositions in the January show are by Concordia
students, while the rest are from composers across Canada. The works were
arranged into a macro-composition exactly one hour long and then uploaded,
in sequence, to a private webpage. The participating dance and theatre
students chose the pieces they wanted to interpret by visiting the page to
listen to the music and read the brief descriptions of the composers and the
works.

"It's a bit like online dating," says Silvy Panet-Raymond, acting chair of
the Department of Contemporary Dance. She's made the event part of the
curriculum for the third-year choreography class, while it's optional for
those in second year.

Erin Hill is one of the almost three dozen dance students who'll be
involved. "I think it's great, especially because of the constraints: the
more precise the rules, the more creative you can be, because you can't
question - as in, doubt - the time or the music."

Several 60x60 events have been held at Concordia since 2008, including the
Canadian debut in 2009 of 60x60 Dance, for which dance students
choreographed works to accompany each composition. For the first time at
Concordia, theatre students will also take part.

"I took into consideration the level of difficulty and how directing a small
group of performers could be easily done. Then I applied my specialization
in clown and worked off visuals," says student Kendall Savage of her
approach, which resulted in her creation of three separate 60-second
performances that could be inserted into any piece of music.

Hill appreciates the rare opportunity to collaborate with her fellow
students in music and theatre. "It's such an important thing for people in
different disciplines to come together," she says. "It stimulates creativity
and community and it's so much fun."

60x60 Dance in Theatre 2013
January 16, 2013, from 6 to 7 p.m.

D.B. Clarke Theatre, Room H-0050, Henry F. Hall Building (1455 De
Maisonneuve Blvd. W.), Sir George Williams campus, Concordia University,
Montreal, Canada

Admission is free of charge and open to the public.

Click here to Unsubscribe
<http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/voxnovus>
Vox Novus
c/o Robert Voisey