[Voxnovus] NM421> September 20, 2013 - Results for Fifteen Mintes of Fame - Happy Birthday Verdi - 60x60 performance in Miami - calls for works and more

Robert Voisey (Vox Novus) RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com
Thu Sep 19 12:29:46 EDT 2013

Can't view this email properly? Click here for the online version
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-09-20.htm>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421> New Music for the 21st Century

< <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-09-13.htm> September 20, 2013
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-09-27.htm> >

VOX NOVUS NEWSLETTER - New Music for the 21st Century

> POSTCARD: Hypermegahorn

Vox Novus Calendar

> PERFORMANCE: 60x60 Presenters Mix in Miami

> PERFORMANCE: Composer's Voice - 3rd Annual Children's concert

ANNOUNCEMENTS

> RESULTS: Fifteen Minutes of Fame with Giuseppe Lupis

OPPORTUNITIES

> Fifteen Minutes of Fame - call for works for violin

> Fifteen Minutes of Fame - call for works for violin and viola

> Composer's Site - composer opportunities

NM421 ARCHIVES

The Hypermegahorn

The Hypermegahorn
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/postcard/13-09-20-Hypermegahorn.jpg>

The hypermegahorn, the largest member of the horn family and the second
biggest instrument ever built, resembled a French horn with an overactive
pituitary gland. Its seven-octave range of C-3 to C4 was the widest of all
wind instruments. The hypermegahornist used both legs and fingers to play
the instrument: legs to pump the treadle that worked the bellows that
pressurized the air; and fingers to stick in his ears when the sound
expelled from the bell passed 125 decibels. "Which was way too often,"
complained Buzz Dinklaker, its first and only player. Use of the
hypermegahorn in symphonic literature was limited due to its abrupt
decommissioning. On October 15, 1960, following a performance of Etude Brute
for Hypermegahorn and Orchestra at Carnegie Hall, the instrument was to be
moved to the Brooklyn Academy of Music for a subsequent concert. But at
Seventh and Houston, the giant horn mysteriously tumbled off of the truck,
embedding itself in an empty lot. Before the instrument could be recovered,
the realtor on whose lot it landed had rented it to the new U.N.
representative from Burkina Faso, who immediately declared it a sovereign
two-story studio apartment. It still is. Oh, and the biggest instrument ever
built, the leviathorn? Naturally, that's quite another story.

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn
www.DavidGunn.org

Upcoming Performances

60x60 Presenters Mix <http://www.voxnovus.com/60x60/pics/60X60%20logo.jpg>

Composer's Voice <http://www.60x60.com/2012_Presenters_Mix.htm>

Sunday, September 23, 2013 8:00 PM

60x60 Presenters Mix

On September 23,2013 at 8:00 PM Charles Norman Mason in conjunction with Vox
Novus will present the 60x60 Presenters Mix at the Clarke Recital Hall,
Frost School of Music, University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida. The
unique 60x60 format creates a listening experience which all audiences
enjoy. Every 60 seconds the listener is presented with another audio work by
a different composer; works vary in style and aesthetic to create maximum
variety. 60x60 is always changing and evolving throughout the hour
presenting a new aural experience each minute. Each 60 second miniature is
synchronized with an analog clock, so audiences can see exactly where they
are and follow along with the program for the hour performance. The clock
also marks the passage of time for the individual minute giving a unique
experience to how we perceive time and music.

September 23, 2013
8:00 PM, Clarke Recital Hall
Frost School of Music
University of Miami
5501 San Amaro Drive
Coral Gables, Florida
Free Admission

More can be found at http://www.voxnovus.com/60x60/2012_Presenters_Mix.htm

Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Composers_Voice_logo_2012.jpg>

Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/13-09-15.htm>

Sunday, September 29, 2013 1:00 PM

Composer's Voice Presents it's 3rd Annual Children's Month concert

Ths Composer's Voice concert will feature Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Cross
Island Trio, Suzanne Muller, cello; Sandy Tepper, clarinet; and Elinor
Abrams Zayas, piano including 15 one-minute pieces by 15 composers from
around the world. This international collaboration will present the music of
Kevin Holland, Steven Serpa, Bob Siebert, David Heuser, Benjamin Williams,
Steven Kreamer, Masatora Goya, John Spartan & Libby Moyer, Helga Beier, Adam
Giese, Ruben Toledo, Scott Brickman, Tim Labor, Dominic Dousa, and Alan
Elkins.

The Annual Children's Month concert is created to highlight the works of
young composers. It is designed to explore the work of what our younger
composers are writing today and to give them opportunities to have their
works performed and heard by audiences. There will be performances of the
works by Jesse Berman, Jason Ulysses DaSilva, Nuha Dolby, Moaz Mneimneh,
Jimmy Pigott, J. P. Redmond, and Vrinda Trivedi.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Jesse_Berman.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Jason_Ulysses_DaSilva.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Nuha_Dolby.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Moaz_Mneimneh.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Jimmy_Pigott_03.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/JP_Redmond.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Vrinda_Trivedi.jpg>

With performances by Elisa Brown, Katarzyna Bryla, Hui-Chuan Chen, Alexandra
Frederick, and Melissa Wimbish

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Melissa_Wimbish.jpg>

Praised by The New York Times for her "stylish singing" and by The Boulder
Daily Camera as "simply incredible.the highlight of the entire evening,"
soprano Melissa Wimbish is quickly garnering recognition for her artistry,
technical prowess, and captivating stage presence.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Elisa_Brown.jpg>

Soprano Elisa Brown has appeared at Carnegie Hall, and has performed
extensively for The Zaraspe Foundation on behalf of UNESCO and other
philanthropic organizations throughout the Americas and in Spain.
Off-Broadway, she performed the lead role in the Italian Baroque-inspired
Spirito e Core.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Katarzyna_Bryla_01.jpg>

Poland's brilliant young violinist Katarzyna Bryla has won first prizes in
the National Children's Art Competition in Warsaw at the very young age of
eight, National Violin Competition in Gdansk; National J. S. Bach
competition in Zielona Gora where she was also awarded a special prize for
the best performance of Bach, and the International Contemporary Music
Competition in Warsaw.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Gabriel_Chajnik.jpg>

Also included in this performance will be choreography from Gabriel Chajnik.
Gabriel Chajnik is the choreographer and Director of TranscendanceGroup, a
contemporary dance company based in New York and New Jersey under the
mentorship of Juilliard faculty emeritus, Maestro Hector Zaraspe. Gabriel's
choreography has been presented at The Shakespeare Theatre in Washington,
D.C.; Alice Tully Hall; Clark Theater; The Juilliard Theater; The Manhattan
School of Music; and George Street Playhouse.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Jessica_Black.jpg>

Dancer Jessica Black was selected as the top ballet student of the year
under the Jacques d'Amboise Award. As a scholarship recipient in the Alvin
Ailey School's Fellowship Program, Jessica was chosen to perform with the
Alvin Ailey company in "Memoria" at New York City Center. Under the tutelage
of the Master of Jazz, Luigi, Jessica was the first American to perform his
work "Solitude" in several New York venues. Jessica has performed with Edgar
Cortes Dance Theater, Ballets with a Twist, and Eglevsky Ballet.

Composer's Voice Concert Series is an opportunity for contemporary composers
to express their musical aesthetic and personal compositional "voice." Since
it beginning in 2001 the Composer's Voice concert series has presented more
than 100 concerts.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/13-09-29.htm> Click here to
see the concert program

View Larger Map
<https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=Jan+Hus+Ch
urch,+351+East+74th+Street,+New+York+City&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Jan+Hus+Church,&hnea
r=0x89c258c0ec870a25:0xd338d8ba90431457,351+E+74th+St,+New+York,+NY+10021&ci
d=0,0,8365410865589470695&t=m&iwloc=A&ll=40.769792,-73.956352&spn=0.006295,0
.006295&source=embed>

Composer <http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/13-09-29.htm> 's
Voice Concert
Sunday September 29, 2013 1:00PM
Jan Hus Church <http://www.janhus.org>
351 East 74th Street
New York, New York FREE ADMISSION

Compsoer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Composers_Voice_logo_2012.jpg>

Calendar

<http://www.voxnovus.com/calendar> Calendar of Vox Novus Events
Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo_new.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Giuseppe_Lupis.jpg>

Announcing results for
Fifteen Minutes of Fame with Giuseppe Lupis
"Happy Birthday Maestro Verdi"

Notable composer Giuseppe Verdi was born on October 10, 1813. To celebrate
his bicentennial, composers submitted works for solo piano inspired by the
music or life of Giuseppe Verdi and the theme "Happy Birthday Maestro
Verdi." Compositions include themes by Verdi, imitative of Verdi's music, or
have some connection.

Composers selected for this Fifteen Minutes of Fame include: Joel Ahn,
Rodrigo Baggio, Erik Branch, Scott Brickman, John C. Griffin, Monroe Golden,
Ben Herbert, Jona Kumper, Steven H. Markowitz, Marcus Karl Maroney, Jerry
McCutcheon, Eurydice V. Osterman, Andrew Smith, Aurelio Scotto, and Betty
Wishart

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Giuseppe_Lupis/>

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Giuseppe Lupis, piano is to be premiered October
10, 2013, 8.00 p.m. Sherman Van Solkema Concert Hall, at Grand Valley State
University, Allendale, Michigan.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Giuseppe_Lupis/> You
can find more information here
http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Giuseppe_Lupis

Composer's Site
<http://www.composerssite.com/sites/all/themes/composer_theme/cpcc.jpg>

New Opportunities

Expiring Opportunities

*

Look and Listen Composers Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4235>
Entry Fee: 16.00
Deadline: 15 Oct 2013
*

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame with Karen Phenpimon-Zehavi for percussion
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4216>
Deadline: 16 May 2014
*

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Kenyon Wilson - solo unaccompanied tuba
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4217>
Deadline: 7 Mar 2014
*

Atlantic Center for the Arts Residency program - Marilyn Crispell,
Composer / Performer <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4215>
Deadline: 17 Nov 2013
*

2nd Annual MA-ASTA Composition Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4212>
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 31 Jan 2014
*

The HSU Brass Chamber Music Workshop Annual Composition Contest for
Brass Chamber Music - 2014 <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4213>
Deadline: 1 Feb 2014
*

The Locrian Chamber Players - Call for Scores 2013
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4211>
Deadline: 1 Dec 2013
*

2014 American Composers Forum National Composition Contest
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4210>
Deadline: 15 Nov 2013
*

Cellotronic Games <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4205>
Entry Fee: 10.00
Deadline: 15 Oct 2013
*

COMMUNITY MUSIC SCHOOL OF WEBSTER UNIVERSTITY - Young Composers
Competition <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4206>
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 25 Oct 2013
*

International Festival for Artistic Innovation - 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4204>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Women Composers Festival of Hartford Call for Papers and
Presentations <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4209>
Entry Fee: 35.00
Deadline: 15 Nov 2013
*

Women Composers Festival of Hartford International Composition
Competition <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4207>
Deadline: 1 Nov 2013
*

Women Composers Festival of Hartford New England Score Call
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4208>
Entry Fee: 35.00
Deadline: 1 Nov 2013
*

The Intimacy of Creativity 2014 - Composers meet performers in Hong
Kong <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4198>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 5 Oct 2013

*

2013 Call for Scores: New Works for Unaccompanied Viola da Gamba
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3415>
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 20 Sep 2013
*

FlevaRes Residencies for Artists 2014 Cyprus
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3619>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 20 Sep 2013
*

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: andPlay with Maya Bennardo
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3198> & Hannah Levinson, violin &
viola
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 26 Sep 2013
*

CRS COMPETITION FOR COMPOSERS RECORDING
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3595>
Entry Fee: 50.00
Deadline: 28 Sep 2013
*

Brazosport Symphony Orchestra Original Composition Contest for
Student <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3435> & Amateur Composers

Entry Fee: 10.00
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

livingvoid <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3970>
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

music+culture competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3945>
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

THE 2013 GREGG SMITH NATIONAL CHORAL COMPOSITION CONTEST
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3504>
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

The International Society of Bassists is launching a new podcast
called <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/953> "Speak Low,"
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

Toru Takemitsu Composition Award - 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/884>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

XXXVI International Forum of New Music Manuel Enriquez, Mexico City
2014 <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4048>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

harpsichord xxi - <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3725>
Call for works
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Alabama Orchestra Association
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3972> 2014 Annual Composition
Contest
Entry Fee: 25.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Assistant Professor of Composition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4116>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Call for works - harpsichord
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3472>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Echo Chamber Ensemble - call for new scores
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3958>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3527> Ile de creations
2014
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Imaginary Orchestra Open Call
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3341>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

In Sterio 2013 Composition Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3372>
Entry Fee: 25.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

International Festival for Artistic Innovation - 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4204>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Mill Ave Chamber Players
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4044>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Millay Colony Residency
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3565>
Entry Fee: 35.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

music+culturecompetition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3627>
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

NMC 2014 USF NEW-MUSIC FESTIVAL CALL FOR SCORES
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4041>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

OPUS2014 - Call for works
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3886>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

PROJECT Trio <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3867> -
Composition Competition 2013
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Seeking new compositions for Low Brass Trio
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3869>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

SOUSA/OSTWALD AWARD <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3439>
-CASH PRIZE OF $5,000
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

The Horniman Musical Composition Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3463>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

UCROSS FOUNDATION RESIDENCY PROGRAM
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3567>
Entry Fee: 40.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013

Opportunities

Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo.jpg>

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/>
Fifteen Minutes of Fame

CALL FOR SCORES

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Tzu-En Lee

Deadline: August 8, 2014

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Tzu-En_Lee.jpg>

Vox Novus is calling for one-minute pieces composed for Solo violin with a
theme of Taiwanese Folk Music. This Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame for Tzu-En Lee
is to be premiered on March 8, 2015 for the Composer's Voice concert Series
at the Jan Hus Church in New York City. The theme "Taiwanese Folk Music"
should serve as an inspiration for the composers. Ms. Lee is not looking for
arrangements; she wishes to inspire the composers to write original music to
exemplify her love for Taiwanese music.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/#14-08-08> Click here for
more details

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Maya_Bennardo.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Hannah_Levinson.jpg>

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: andPlay
Maya Bennardo violin and
Hannah Levinson, viola

Deadline: September 26, 2013

Vox Novus is calling for one-minute pieces composed for
Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: andPlay, with Maya Bennardo, violin & Hannah
Levinson, viola to be premiered on January 26, 2014 for the Composer's Voice
concert series at the Jan Hus Church in New York City.

andPlay is committed to expanding the existing violin/viola duo repertoire
through performing rarely heard works and commissioning emerging composers.
This New York City based duo of Maya Bennardo, violin, and Hannah Levinson,
viola, first played to an eager crowd on Fire Island in the summer of 2012,
and can be seen performing this season at Caffe Vivaldi, 109 Gallery, and
the Concerts on the Slope series. Maya and Hannah met while studying at
Oberlin Conservatory, and continued their educations at New York University
and the Manhattan School of Music, respectively. Despite living on opposite
sides of the city, the members of andPlay enjoy taking the subway to meet
for rehearsals and delicious baked goods.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/#13-09-26> Click here for
more details

Vox Novus Projects

<http://www.voxnovus.com> Vox Novus