[Voxnovus] NM421> September 27, 2013 - Third Annual Composer's Voice Children's Concert - Results for Fifteen Minutes of Fame with the Crane Harp Ensemble

Robert Voisey (Vox Novus) RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com
Fri Sep 27 09:51:56 EDT 2013

Can't view this email properly? Click here for the online version
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-09-27.htm>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421> New Music for the 21st Century

< <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-09-20.htm> September 27, 2013
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-10-04.htm> >

VOX NOVUS NEWSLETTER - New Music for the 21st Century

> POSTCARD: The Typewriter

Vox Novus Calendar

> PERFORMANCE: Composer's Voice - 3rd Annual Children's Month

ANNOUNCEMENTS

> RESULTS: Fifteen Minutes of Fame with the Crane Harp Ensemble

OPPORTUNITIES

> Fifteen Minutes of Fame - call for works for violin solos

> Composer's Site - composer opportunities

NM421 ARCHIVES

The Typewriter

The Typewriter
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/postcard/13-09-27-The_Typewriter.jpg>

"The Typewriter," a novelty orchestral piece written by Leroy Anderson,
calls for a percussionist to play a modified typewriter with but two working
keys. However, Irwin Dinklaker, President of Pringler Typewriters, to whom
the piece was dedicated, begged Anderson to instead let him play his own
machine in concert. The composer agreed, and on July 31, 1951, Dinklaker
performed at Tanglewood with the Boston Pops conducted by Arthur Fiedler.
Overshadowing the performance was the stream of consciousness text that
Dinklaker typed. Linguists who later parsed the 812 words - typed in only a
minute and forty-nine seconds! - determined it to be the earliest known
example of written Klingon. Today, the typed page is reverentially housed at
the Klingon Language Institute in Flourtown, Pennsylvania.

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn
www.DavidGunn.org

Upcoming Performances

Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Composers_Voice_logo_2012.jpg>

Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/13-09-15.htm>

Sunday, September 29, 2013 1:00 PM

Composer's Voice Presents it's 3rd Annual Children's Month concert

Ths Composer's Voice concert will feature Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Cross
Island Trio, Suzanne Muller, cello; Sandy Tepper, clarinet; and Elinor
Abrams Zayas, piano including 15 one-minute pieces by 15 composers from
around the world. This international collaboration will present the music of
Kevin Holland, Steven Serpa, Bob Siebert, David Heuser, Benjamin Williams,
Steven Kreamer, Masatora Goya, John Spartan & Libby Moyer, Helga Beier, Adam
Giese, Ruben Toledo, Scott Brickman, Tim Labor, Dominic Dousa, and Alan
Elkins.

The Annual Children's Month concert is created to highlight the works of
young composers. It is designed to explore the work of what our younger
composers are writing today and to give them opportunities to have their
works performed and heard by audiences. There will be performances of the
works by Jesse Berman, Jason Ulysses DaSilva, Nuha Dolby, Moaz Mneimneh,
Jimmy Pigott, J. P. Redmond, and Vrinda Trivedi.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Jesse_Berman.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Jason_Ulysses_DaSilva.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Nuha_Dolby.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Moaz_Mneimneh.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Jimmy_Pigott_03.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/JP_Redmond.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Vrinda_Trivedi.jpg>

With performances by Elisa Brown, Katarzyna Bryla, Hui-Chuan Chen, Alexandra
Frederick, and Melissa Wimbish

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Melissa_Wimbish.jpg>

Praised by The New York Times for her "stylish singing" and by The Boulder
Daily Camera as "simply incredible.the highlight of the entire evening,"
soprano Melissa Wimbish is quickly garnering recognition for her artistry,
technical prowess, and captivating stage presence.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Elisa_Brown.jpg>

Soprano Elisa Brown has appeared at Carnegie Hall, and has performed
extensively for The Zaraspe Foundation on behalf of UNESCO and other
philanthropic organizations throughout the Americas and in Spain.
Off-Broadway, she performed the lead role in the Italian Baroque-inspired
Spirito e Core.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Katarzyna_Bryla_01.jpg>

Poland's brilliant young violinist Katarzyna Bryla has won first prizes in
the National Children's Art Competition in Warsaw at the very young age of
eight, National Violin Competition in Gdansk; National J. S. Bach
competition in Zielona Gora where she was also awarded a special prize for
the best performance of Bach, and the International Contemporary Music
Competition in Warsaw.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Gabriel_Chajnik.jpg>

Also included in this performance will be choreography from Gabriel Chajnik.
Gabriel Chajnik is the choreographer and Director of TranscendanceGroup, a
contemporary dance company based in New York and New Jersey under the
mentorship of Juilliard faculty emeritus, Maestro Hector Zaraspe. Gabriel's
choreography has been presented at The Shakespeare Theatre in Washington,
D.C.; Alice Tully Hall; Clark Theater; The Juilliard Theater; The Manhattan
School of Music; and George Street Playhouse.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Jessica_Black.jpg>

Dancer Jessica Black was selected as the top ballet student of the year
under the Jacques d'Amboise Award. As a scholarship recipient in the Alvin
Ailey School's Fellowship Program, Jessica was chosen to perform with the
Alvin Ailey company in "Memoria" at New York City Center. Under the tutelage
of the Master of Jazz, Luigi, Jessica was the first American to perform his
work "Solitude" in several New York venues. Jessica has performed with Edgar
Cortes Dance Theater, Ballets with a Twist, and Eglevsky Ballet.

Composer's Voice Concert Series is an opportunity for contemporary composers
to express their musical aesthetic and personal compositional "voice." Since
it beginning in 2001 the Composer's Voice concert series has presented more
than 100 concerts.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/13-09-29.htm> Click here to
see the concert program

View Larger Map
<https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=Jan+Hus+Ch
urch,+351+East+74th+Street,+New+York+City&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Jan+Hus+Church,&hnea
r=0x89c258c0ec870a25:0xd338d8ba90431457,351+E+74th+St,+New+York,+NY+10021&ci
d=0,0,8365410865589470695&t=m&iwloc=A&ll=40.769792,-73.956352&spn=0.006295,0
.006295&source=embed>

Composer <http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/13-09-29.htm> 's
Voice Concert
Sunday September 29, 2013 1:00PM
Jan Hus Church <http://www.janhus.org>
351 East 74th Street
New York, New York FREE ADMISSION

Compsoer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Composers_Voice_logo_2012.jpg>

Calendar

<http://www.voxnovus.com/calendar> Calendar of Vox Novus Events
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo_new.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/The_Crane_Harp_Ensemble_01.jpg>

Announcing Results For
Fifteen Minutes of Fame with the Crane Harp Ensemble

The Crane Harp Ensemble is from SUNY Potsdam's Crane School of Music
directed by Dr. Jessica Suchy-Pilalis. The ensemble performs harp duos,
trios, quartets, etc. and gives at least one formal concert each semester.
The ensemble includes students as well as members of the surrounding Potsdam
community. Vox Novus placed a call to collaborate with The Crane Harp
Ensemble to present Fifteen Minutes of Fame at the Composer's Voice concert
series in New York City on November 10th, 2013 at Jan Hus Church.

Composers selected for Fifteen Minutes of Fame with the Crane Harp Ensemble:
Erik Branch, Inna Buganina, David Heinick, Elbert Liu, Martin Loridan, Roger
May, Buck McDaniel, Michael Mikulka, Akmal Parwez, Robert Percy, Edward
Ruchalski, Curtis Nathaniel Smith, Gregoria Karides Suchy, Christopher M.
Wicks, and Farcry C. Zuke

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/images/15-Minutes-of-Fame_The_Cr
ane_Harp_Ensemble.jpg>

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Crane_Harp_Ensemble/>
You can find more information here
http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Crane_Harp_Ensemble/

Composer's Site
<http://www.composerssite.com/sites/all/themes/composer_theme/cpcc.jpg>

New Opportunities

Expiring Opportunities

*

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Video Game Music with Katarzyna Bryla,
violin <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4307> & Hui-Chuan Chen,
Piano
Deadline: 28 Mar 2014
*

Detroit Symphony Orchestra New Music Readings for African-American
Composers <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4301>
Deadline: 11 Oct 2013
*

gammaUT 2014 <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4296> - Call
for Scores
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 1 Dec 2013
*

APNM Annual Call for Scores Composition Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4294>
Entry Fee: 7.15
Deadline: 28 Oct 2013
*

2014 North American Saxophone Alliance
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4292> Composition Competition
Deadline: 10 Dec 2013
*

SEAMUS 2014: Worlds of Electro-Acoustic Music
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4291>
Deadline: 15 Oct 2013
*

2014 Jack Stone Award for new music - call for scores by community
college student composers <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4284>
Deadline: 3 Mar 2014
*

2014 NCEM Young Composers Award
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4282>
Deadline: 21 Feb 2014
*

7. International Contest for Organ Compositions as part of The
SAARLOUIS ORGAN FESTIVAL 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4277>
Deadline: 31 Mar 2014
*

Call for Scores with BMA Artist in Residence Nicole Thomson
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4270>
Deadline: 11 Oct 2013
*

Dutch Harp Composition Contest 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4276>
Deadline: 15 Dec 2013
*

First International Jean Sibelius Composition Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4271>
Deadline: 30 Sep 2014
*

Gaudeamus Muziekweek 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4274>
Entry Fee: 35.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

III TDM Composers Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4275>
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

Toru Takemitsu Composition Award - 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4272>
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013

*

CRS COMPETITION FOR COMPOSERS RECORDING
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3595>
Entry Fee: 50.00
Deadline: 28 Sep 2013
*

Brazosport Symphony Orchestra Original Composition Contest for
Student <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3435> & Amateur Composers

Entry Fee: 10.00
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

III TDM Composers Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4275>
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

livingvoid <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3970>
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

music+culture competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3945>
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

THE 2013 GREGG SMITH NATIONAL CHORAL COMPOSITION CONTEST
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3504>
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

The International Society of Bassists is launching a new podcast
called <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/953> "Speak Low,"
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

Toru Takemitsu Composition Award - 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4272>
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

Toru Takemitsu Composition Award - 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/884>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

XXXVI International Forum of New Music Manuel Enriquez, Mexico City
2014 <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4048>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

harpsichord xxi - <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3725>
Call for works
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Alabama Orchestra Association
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3972> 2014 Annual Composition
Contest
Entry Fee: 25.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Assistant Professor of Composition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4116>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Call for works - harpsichord
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3472>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Echo Chamber Ensemble - call for new scores
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3958>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Gaudeamus Muziekweek 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4274>
Entry Fee: 35.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3527> Ile de creations
2014
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Imaginary Orchestra Open Call
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3341>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

In Sterio 2013 Composition Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3372>
Entry Fee: 25.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

International Festival for Artistic Innovation - 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4204>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Mill Ave Chamber Players
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4044>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Millay Colony Residency
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3565>
Entry Fee: 35.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

music+culturecompetition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3627>
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

NMC 2014 USF NEW-MUSIC FESTIVAL CALL FOR SCORES
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4041>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

OPUS2014 - Call for works
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3886>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

PROJECT Trio <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3867> -
Composition Competition 2013
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Seeking new compositions for Low Brass Trio
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3869>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

SOUSA/OSTWALD AWARD <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3439>
-CASH PRIZE OF $5,000
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

The Horniman Musical Composition Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3463>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

UCROSS FOUNDATION RESIDENCY PROGRAM
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3567>
Entry Fee: 40.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

inviting composers to submit
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3524> 'strands' that we may use to
form a larger composition, Mache
Deadline: 3 Oct 2013
*

Choral Composition Contest 2013
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3537>
Entry Fee: 25.00
Deadline: 3 Oct 2013
*

CMA/ASCAP Awards for Adventurous Programming
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4169>
Deadline: 4 Oct 2013
*

The Intimacy of Creativity 2014 - Composers meet performers in Hong
Kong <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4198>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 5 Oct 2013
*

The Intimacy of Creativity 2014 Call-for-Scores
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3947>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 5 Oct 2013
*

2013 FEASt (Florida Electro-Acoustic Student) Festival
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4247> ? Call for Works
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 7 Oct 2013
*

2014 Composers <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3612> '
Competition
Entry Fee: 10.00
Deadline: 8 Oct 2013
*

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Iceland: Land of Mystery and Trolls with
Eva Ingolf <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3099>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 9 Oct 2013
*

Detroit Symphony Orchestra New Music Readings for African-American
Composers <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4301>
Deadline: 11 Oct 2013
*

Call for Scores with BMA Artist in Residence Nicole Thomson
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4270>
Deadline: 11 Oct 2013

Opportunities

Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo.jpg>

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/>
Fifteen Minutes of Fame

CALL FOR SCORES

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Land of Mystery and Trolls

Deadline: October 9, 2013

Vox Novus is calling for one-minute violin solos composed for
Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Iceland: Land of Mystery and Trolls with Eva Ingolf
to be premiered on the Composer's Voice concert February 9, 2014 at the Jan
Hus Church, New York City. The theme for this Fifteen Minutes of Fame call
is: Iceland: Land of Mystery and Trolls. The composers can interpret this
creatively.

Eva Ingolf is a well known Icelandic violinist particularly recognized for
her authoritative performances of solo works by J. S. Bach. She comes from a
leading musical family and her father, Ingolfur Gu?brandsson, premiered many
of the great choral works in Iceland and six of her sisters and brothers are
professional musicians who have made an important contribution to the high
quality of the musical life in the country. She began violin studies at a
young age, gaining early recognition for outstanding musical talent,
including the beautiful tone and artistic interpretation of her playing.
After studying at the Conservatory of Reykjavik for 6 years, Eva left
Iceland to study with some of Europe's finest violin pedagogues. Her playing
has been greatly influenced by the spirit of the Russian and East-European
violin schools.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/#13-09-26> Click here for
more details

Vox Novus Projects