[Voxnovus] NM421> February 14, 2014 - REVIEW: Strings Ahoy - PREMIERE OF THE 60x60 PACIFIC RIM MIX - EMM MINI IN BOZEMAN, MONTANA - 4TH ANNUAL TRAJETORIA BRASILEIRA - RESULTS: Fifteen Minutes of Fame with Shannon Roberts and Yumi Suehiro

Robert Voisey (Vox Novus) RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com
Fri Feb 14 10:20:00 EST 2014

Can't view this email properly? Click here for the online version
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-02-14.htm>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421> New Music for the 21st Century

< <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-02-07.htm> February 14, 2014
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-02-21.htm> >

VOX NOVUS NEWSLETTER - New Music for the 21st Century

> REVIEW: Strings Ahoy

> POSTCARD: Whistler Sisters

Vox Novus Calendar
PERFORMANCES

> PREMIERE OF THE 60x60 PACIFIC RIM MIX - 60x60 DECADE CELEBRATION

> 2014 ELECTRONIC MUSIC MIDWEST MINI FESTIVAL IN BOZEMAN, MONTANA

> COMPOSER'S VOICE PRESENTS THE 4TH ANNUAL TRAJETORIA BRASILEIRA

ANNOUNCEMENTS

> RESULTS: Fifteen Minutes of Fame with Shannon Roberts and Yumi Suehiro

OPPORTUNITIES

> Fifteen Minutes of Fame - call for scores for bassoon solo

> Birmingham Art Music Alliance Birmingham New Music Festival Call for

Submissions

> Circuit Bridges - Call for Electroacoustic Works

> MaD Circle - Call for Works - Tangos and Waltzes

> Composer's Site - new opportunities

> Composer's Site - expiring opportunities

NM421 ARCHIVES

Whistler Sisters

Whistler Sisters
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/postcard/14-02-14-Whistler_Sisters.jpg>

Umberto Dinklaker's tone poem "El Erizo Angustiado-or The Anguished
Hedgehog-calls for an unusually large battery of percussion instruments. The
"hedgehog in estrus" motif, for example, is played by a quartet of Acme
Siren Whistles. Professional Acme Siren Whistlers are rare enough, so to
find four of them at one time can be quite the challenge. Luckily, the
Fabulous McGillicuddy Sisters answered their inner musical callings by
majoring in siren whistles at the Pringler Academy of Music and Liniments.
Although they were certainly com-petent, the sisters were not what one might
term virtuosi. When they played in unison, for example, they often
encroached into the domain of parallel seconds. Happily, this was just what
El Erizo Angustiado needed to set it apart from other hedgehog-themed
compositions of the day!

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn
www.DavidGunn.org

andPlay <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-02-14-Composers_Voice.jpg>

REVIEW: Strings Ahoy
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/14-01-26.htm>

Composer's Voice
Sunday, January 26, 2014
Reviewed by Jack Crager

After recent experiments with offbeat performance devices - such as long
hollow tubes, ambient electronic noise and sign-language interpretations of
cellphone rants (see Hard Eight review
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-12-27.htm> )- the Composer's Voice
Concert Series returns to a tried-and-true combo on January 26: chamber
music with modern dance.

Not that the show lacks adventure. With several numbers featuring violin and
viola, and others incorporating lively choreography, this "Dance
Extravaganza" set has a continuity that accents the variations between
individual pieces. (And as something of a prelude to the Composers Voice
show the following evening at Carnegie Hall
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/14-01-27.htm> 's Weill
Recital Hall, this matinee concert features some of the same performers and
composers as that Carnegie show.)

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame with andPlay
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-01-24-Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame_poster.j
pg>

Setting the tone Sunday is the CV's trademark feature, "15 Minutes of Fame,"
curated and performed by andPlay, with Maya Bennardo on violin and Hannah
Levinson on viola. The crisp performance emphasizes tight instrumental
interplay and harmonic contrasts, from the melodic forays of Michael
Maiorana's Autumn Fields to the staccato dancing lines of Ricardo Silva's
O2. Later the set shifts from swooping glissandos in Iain Matheson's
ViolinViola to squeaky moans in Rachel Graff's "Fluctuations" to plucked
counter-melodies of Mike Perdue's "being lost for a minute is not
necessarily terrible." Nor is, for that matter, being led through a sonic
labyrinth for 15 minutes!

Conway Kuo and Pace Short
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-02-14-She_Walks_in_Beauty.jpg>

The first dance piece,
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AKKtDEUBK8&feature=youtu.be> "She Walks in
(burdened) Beauty," features Pace Short performing choreography by Erin
Bomboy, accompanying music, "Slon-he" by Alex Kruchoski, played by Conway
Kuo on viola. This suite seems a miniature life cycle, with its meditative
opening morphing into a lively musical segment with Short dancing like a
whirling dervish. Then a contemplative, almost melancholy section closes the
piece with a graceful bowing out.

Andrea Skull, Jessica Mego, and Stine Moen
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-02-14-Blue_01.jpg>

This leads to the aptly titled "Blue," an abstraction between a composition
by Julius Bucsis and the "dance improvisations" of Andrea Skull, Jessica
Mego, and Stine Moen. Here the music consists of a single, chiming
electronic chord lasting more than three minutes, which continually evolves
in color and shape as its notes are restacked within the composite.
Meanwhile two dancers carefully hoist and hand each other to one other - an
exercise of strength and control that has you both marveling at the
upper-body prowess of these performers and hoping one doesn't fall and break
her neck. (None do.)

Andrea Skull, Jessica Mego, and Stine Moen
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-02-14-He_Stood_Before_Me.jpg>

Then its back to the chamber setting, with Douglas DaSilva's "He Stood
Before Me," featuring Diego Vasquez on clarinet and Adrianna Matteo on
violin. The two instruments trade motifs, weaving among each other and
alternating between dissonance and harmony, while Callie Hatchett's
choreography plays three dancers off each other in a blend of unison and
solo movements, like a shifting dialog. The dancers - Stanton Jacinto, Lee
Katherine Fink, and Allison Schieler - close out the piece with a silent,
ambivalent flourish.

The next piece, "coyote craze" by Vivian Li, is performed on viola by Conway
Kuo and features the self-choreography of dancers Andrea Skurr, Jessica
Mego, and Stine Moen. The vigorous score, both percussive and mellifluous,
sounds like it could be played on piano but breathes and resonates on viola,
while the dancing is energetic and tightly synched.

Adrianna Matteo
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-02-14-Adrianna_Matteo.jpg>

Closing out the concert is violinist Adrianna Matteo playing the work of the
late, great New York composer Douglas Townsend. First Matteo plays the short
but powerful "Violin Solo from Chamber Concerto No. 1." Then she is joined
by dancers Stanton Jacinto, Lee Katherine Fink, Allison Schieler, and Ali
Berg Nicola - performing choreography by Callie Hatchett - for Townsend's
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbXuzIuviNw&feature=youtu.be> "Air (from
Suite No 1 for Strings)." The four skirted dancers start with a silent,
springlike whirling segment, soon joined by the music's yearning,
classical-sounding melody for a couple of minutes before closing the set
with smooth, fluid final bows. With its interplay between traditional
chamber instruments and experimental song-and-dance ideas, this show gets
the 2014 Composers Voice Sunday Series off to a strong start - and lays the
groundwork for the following night's grand festivities at Carnegie Hall.

Stanton Jacinto, Lee Katherine Fink, Allison Schieler, and Ali Berg Nicola
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-02-14-Air_01.jpg>

Program and video of the concert can be found at the following link:
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/14-01-26.htm>
http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/14-01-26.htm

Jack Crager <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/Jack_Crager.jpg>

Jack Crager

Upcoming Performances

60x60 <http://www.voxnovus.com/img/60x60_2012_decade_logo_01.jpg>

Continuing the 60x60 Decade Celebration with the Premiere of the 60x60
Pacific Rim Mix <http://www.voxnovus.com/60x60/2012_Pacific_Rim_Mix.htm>

Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 8:00 PM

The continuing momentum of 60x60 pushes forth the premiere of the 60x60
Pacific Rim Mix. The 60x60 Pacific Rim Mix is the 13th original mix created
out of the 10th annual call for one-minute minuature electroacoustic works.

This mix is curated and "macro-composed" by Alan Shockley and will be
presented by him in the University Art Museum at the California State
University, Longbeach. The performance will take place on Thursday, February
20, 2014 at 8:00 PM and be exactly one hour in length.

60 works by 60 artists, 60x60 offers something different every minute

60x60 is a project containing 60 works each 60 seconds in length presented
continuously in an hour performance synchronized with an analog clock. 60x60
presents a slice of what is happening in the contemporary music scene by
representing 60 works that are diverse in aesthetic and style. Works are
selected from an international pool of emerging and established composers
and sequenced in order. The resulting mix is presented, without
interruption, as a continuous one-hour performance synchronized to an
on-stage analog clock.

Embracing diversity with a furvor not seen anywhere else on the planet

Eclectic by nature, 60x60 offers an unmatched diversity of styles, making
for a fast-speed, electrifying one-of-a-kind performance that never ceases
to surprise. Music includes contemporary, neo-romantic, neo-classic,
text-sound, ambient, environmental, noise, experimental, theatrical, folk,
jazz, blues, tech-house, rock and everything but the kitchen sink (and maybe
even that.)

Composers in the 60x60 (2012) Pacific Rim Mix include:
Fabian Avila, Ignacio Baca-Lobera, Brian Belet, Jon Bellona, John Biggs,
Benjamin Boone, Sarah Boothroyd, Mollie Budiansky, Madelyn Byrne, Patricio
Calatayud, Dofi, Lawrence Dolton, Emily Doolittle, Gil Dori, David Drexler,
Suzy Easton, Frank Ekeberg, Soressa Gardner, Leyton Glen, Michael Golden,
Kraig Grady, David Hahn, Bruce Hamilton, Lorne Hammond, Abby Helasdottir,
Yoko Honda, Allison Johnson, Adam Johnson, Gretchen Jude, Anton Killin,
Jahyun Kim, Hoyong Lee, Jay-Dea Lopez, Monica Lynn, Sylvi MacCormac, Scott
Mallory, Jr., Tomoko Momiyama, Alexander Mouton, Mary Lou Newmark, Julia
Norton, Maggi Payne, Diego Pinzon Garcia, Christopher Prosser, Aleksander
Pusz, Juan Ramirez, Troy Ramos, Steve Roberts, Aldo Rodriguez, Lee Rosevere,
Bettie Ross, Lanier Sammons, John Schappert, Dylan Sheridan, Ray Sherman,
Alan Shockley, Cris Sirc, Andres Suarez, Yuji Suga, Paul Turner, and Georgia
Webb

60x60 (2012) Pacific Rim Mix <http://www.60x60.com/2012_Pacific_Rim_Mix.htm>

Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 8:00 PM
University Art Museum
California State University
1250 N Bellflower Blvd
Long Beach, California 90840
FREE ADMISSION

<http://www.60x60.com/2012_Pacific_Rim_Mix.htm> Click here to see the
concert program

Electronic Music Midwest
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-02-14-EMM-poster.jpg>

Electronic Music Midwest in Bozeman, Montana <http://www.emmfestival.org/>

Saturday, February 22, 2014
concerts at:
- 10:30 AM
- 1:30 PM
- 4:30 PM
- 7:30 PM

Saturday, February 22, 2014 (BOZEMAN, MONTANA) The Electronic Music Midwest
Festival is presenting 4 concerts for it "Mini" Festival in Reynolds Hall at
Montana State University.

The Montana State University School of Music and Electronic Music Midwest
present the 2014 Electronic Music Midwest & Mountains Invitational
mini-Festival on February 22nd in Reynolds Recital Hall on the MSU Campus.

The festival will feature four concerts of electronic music, multimedia and
sonic art by composer from around the country (10:30 am, 1:30 pm, 4:30 pm, &
7:30 pm).

Composers and performers from the University of Oregon, Western Washington
University, Washington State University, University of Utah, University of
Montana, University of North Dakota, Kansas City Kansas Community College,
Lewis University (Chicago), Western Missouri State University, Vox Novus
(New York, NY) and The Composer's Voice (New York, NY) were invited to the
festival and will be gathering in Bozeman to share their cutting-edge
electroacoustic music with the community, MSU students, and each other.

Electronic Music Midwest is dedicated to programming of a wide variety of
electroacoustic music and providing the highest quality performance of
electronic media. Our goal is to bring together vibrant and interesting
artists of all forms, give them a vehicle for their expressions, and a place
for them to share ideas with others.

The EMM "mini's" were created to celebrate the 10th anniversary of EMM. The
goal was to help other institutions and venue produce electroacoustic
concerts in their community. It's a way for composers in the same geographic
area an opportunity to interact with other composers, audiences, and
students. In some cases, it's a way for teachers to grants performance
opportunities for their students in a professional setting.

Since its beginning, EMM has programmed over 500 new electroacoustic
compositions. Composers have traveled from around the world to graciously
share their music with audiences in the Midwest and beyond. EMM strives to
create an environment conducive to building community interaction.
http://www.emmfestival.org

The Electronic Music Midwest & Mountains mini-Festival features an 8.1
channel surround-sound environment for live diffusion and projection. The
festival is sponsored by the School of Music's MONSTER Studios, home of the
Bachelor of Arts in Music Technology. Reynolds Recital Hall is located in
Howard Hall, across from the MSU Duck Pond.

The Electronic Music Midwest "Mini" Festival
Saturday, February 22, 2014
concerts at 10:30 AM, 1:30 PM, 4:30 PM, and 7:30 PM
Reynolds Hall
The Montana State University School of Music
Bozeman, Montana
FREE ADMISSION

Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Composers_Voice_logo_2012.jpg>

COMPOSER <http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/14-02-23.htm> 'S
VOICE PRESENTS THE 4TH ANNUAL TRAJETORIA BRASILEIRA

Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 1:00 PM

Composer's Voice presents its 4th Annual Trajetoria Brasileira at Jan Hus
Church. The concert will feature Brazilian and Brazilian inspired works
featuring the ensemble Tom do Brasil and the duo David Souza, and Anoush
Moazzeni for Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame. The concert will include the work of
Brazilian composer Rodrigo Baggio performed by guitarists Cristian Amigo and
Angela Babin. Also will be a performance from Brazilian violinist Marcos dal
Medico performing the works for David Morneau, Dafina Zeqiri Nushi, Sergio
Roberto de Oliveira, and Yan Pang.

Eva Ingolf <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Tom_do_Brasil.jpg>

Originally formed to perform the Brazilian music style "Choro," TOM DO
BRASIL has expanded their repertoire to include Bossa Nova, Forro,
Sertanejo, and new works by contemporary composers inspired by the sounds of
Brazil.

David Souza <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/David_Souza.jpg>

Tenor David Souza received the First Prize at "Solo with Orchestra
Competition" in Quebec City and at "Disk Recording Competition 2012 Edition"
and the prize of best singer of brazilian popular music at Cotovia
Competition in 2000.

Anoush Moazzeni <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Anoush_Moazzeni.jpg>

Persian born Anoush Moazzeni enjoys a performing career that has frequently
taken her around the world. Highlights of recent seasons have included
visits to America, Europe, and the Middle East.

Cristian Amigo <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Cristian_Amigo.jpg>

Cristian Amigo is an American composer, guitarist, producer, and educator
who explores connections between art, music and American popular and roots
musics. He is currently composer-in-residence at INTAR Theater in New York
City where he produces concerts and the INTAR Roots & New Music Festival.
His awards include fellowships from the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial
Foundation, the Smithsonian Institution Center for Folklife and Cultural
Heritage, and Meet the Composer and the National Endowment for the Arts.

Angela Babin <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Angela_Babin.jpg>

Angela Babin has been playing guitar since she was 10 years old. She learned
how to play at Girl Scout camp and first performed live at Folk City when
she was 13 years old. She subsequently started playing electric guitar in a
band that played at NYC high school dances and block parties when she was
14. Angela entered the downtown New York music scene playing with Off Beach
and the Ordinaires in 1979, and got to perform all over Europe, Canada and
the US. Angela has been playing guitar and bass, composing and recording
with many bands and projects including Homer Erotic, Inviolate, the Raging
Hormones, and more.

Rodrigo Baggiof <http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Rodrigo_Baggio.jpg>

Combining the Brazilian Music, Improvisation and elements of Contemporary
Classical Music, brazilian guitarist and composer Rodrigo Baggio has
excelled internationally. He is the recipient of the "Carl von Ossietzky
Composition Prize"

Roberto Dal Medico
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Roberto_Dal_Medico.jpg>

Violinist Marcos Dal Medico began his violin studies at age seven with
Roberto Dal Medico, continuing on with Manfredo Clelio de Vincenzo and
Alberto Jaffe. He earned his Music Degree in Violin from UNESP (State
University of Sao Paulo) under the supervision of Professor Ayrton Pinto.
His teachers include Mary Lou Speaker, Gerald Rubinstein, Sergey Girchenko,
Marcello Guerchfeld, Mathey Torpe, Claudio Micheletti, Eliza Fukuda and
Pablo de Leon. He has performed as a guest violinist and soloist in many
Brazilian concert halls.

Douglas DaSilva <http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Douglas_DaSilva.jpg>

Douglas DaSilva's composing is influenced by Brazilian music. As Artistic
Director for the Composer's Voice concert series "DaSilva knows just how to
tempt you with a delicious array of musical desserts that titillate your
ear." NM421 His compositions have been described as "very individual, and to
us has a very clear personality" in Classical Guitar Magazine.

David Morneau <http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/David_Morneau.jpg>

Described by Molly Sheridan as a "flashing beacon" of inspiration, David
Morneau's eclectic output is best exemplified by 60x365, his "ambitious
yearlong musical project" for which he composed a new one-minute composition
every day.

Dafina Zeqiri Nushi
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Dafina_Zeqiri_Nushi.jpg>

Dafina Zeqiri Nushi, is a Kosovar composer; among her honors are three
awards in the Cesk Zadeja competition for young composers in Tirana, Third
Prize in the pre-art competition for young composers in Zurich, the Theodore
Front Prize the International Alliance for Women in Music, the second prize
"Chopin Kosovo" Composers Competition (2012), and First Prize in Composers
Competition 2011 for chamber music from Kosovo Ministry of Culture.

Sergio Roberto de Oliveira
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Sergio_Roberto_de_Oliveira.jpg>

Sergio Roberto de Oliveira was nominee for the 12thLatin Grammy ("Best
Classical Contemporary Composition").

Sergio Roberto de Oliveira
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Yan_Pang.jpg>

Yan Pang is one of the most active composers of the new Chinese generation.
She has released a number of publications consisting of "Glorious Times",
published by the China Scientific & Cultural Audio-Video Publishing Company
in 2011, as well as score "Solis Ortus", and article "Comparative Music
Analysis of Scene of Sichuan Opera" which were issued by China People's
Cultural Art Publishing Company.

Jonathan Russell
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Jonathan_Russell.jpg>

Jonathan Russell is a composer, clarinetist, conductor, and educator, whose
work has been hailed as "incredibly virtuosic, rocking, and musical" (San
Francisco Classical Voice) and "a fantastically distorted perpetual motion
of awesome" (I Care If You Listen).

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo_new.jpg>

"...the 15 Minutes of Fame project of Vox Novus is a godsend. " - NY Music
Culture Examiner Fifteen Minutes of Fame is 15 one-minute acoustic works by
different composers. Fifteen Minutes of Fame gives a variety of new music by
living composers to audiences hungry to hear what is being created in
today's music scene.

One of the premier showcases for promising composers, Composer's Voice
Concert Series is an opportunity for contemporary composers and musicians to
express their musical aesthetic and personal "voice." Composer's Voice has
presented over 100 concerts in New York City and scores of concert
performances throughout the world. "[Vox Novus offers] the presentation of
serious works by established and emerging composers. Those voices should be
heard, and they can even be reheard on the Vox Novus website
(http://www.VoxNovus.com)..." - New Music Connoisseur

Composer <http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/14-02-23.htm> 's
Voice Concert
Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 1:00 PM
Jan Hus Church
351 East 74th Street
(between First and Second Avenues) New York, New York FREE ADMISSION

<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/14-02-23.htm> Click here to
see the concert program

Calendar

<http://www.voxnovus.com/calendar> Calendar of Vox Novus Events
Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo_new.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Yumi_Suehiro_01.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Shannon_Roberts.jpg>

Announcing results for Fifteen Minutes of Fame with Shannon Roberts and Yumi
Suehiro

Soprano Shannon Roberts and pianist Yumi Suehiro select their 15 composers
for its Fifteen Minutes of Fame to be premiered on Composer's Voice on March
30, 2014 <http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/14-03-30.htm> at
Jan Hus Church in New York City.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Shannon_Roberts.jpg>

Soprano Shannon Roberts holds dual US and Irish citizenship, dividing her
time between New York City and Europe. She finds it an important and
rewarding endeavor to collaborate with living composers, and has premiered
works by several, including award winning Juilliard composer Bruce Lazarus
and most recently Nailah Nombeko's William Blake Songs. Ms. Roberts is a
multiple award winner receiving prizes, grants, and or scholarships from:
The Wagner Society of New York, the Liederkranz Foundation, and the Lee
Schaenen Foundation, among others. A partial list of the companies with
which she has performed includes; Santa Fe Opera, The Florida Grand Opera,
Natchez Festival of Music, Chelsea Opera, Opera Theatre of Connecticut, The
Bronx Opera, Lyric Opera of New York, and Bel Cantanti. Ms. Roberts attended
the Hartt School of Music, received a Bachelor of Music from the University
of Florida, and was awarded a Special Artists' Diploma from Miami's
prestigious New World School of the Arts. Ms. Roberts is managed by John
Miller of Pinnacle Artists Management.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Yumi_Suehiro_01.jpg>

Pianist Yumi Suehiro began studying both piano and marimba at an early age.
In her native Japan, Ms. Suehiro won numerous competitions, including the
top prize at the Kobe International Competition as the youngest winner. As a
pianist, she has performed at New York City's Weill Recital Hall (Carnegie)
as an AMTL Audition Winner, and at Steinway Hall, presented by the Amati
Music Festival. She also was the featured marimba player in Latin
percussionist Victor Rendon's recording of "Fiesta Percussiva". Ms. Suehiro
graduated from Lehman College (CUNY) and the Manhattan School of Music.
While at Manhattan, she won second prize in the school's 2010 piano concerto
competition, and in 2011 was chosen to perform Richard Wilson's "Flashback"
for Pierre Aimard's master class. Her teachers have included Morris Lang,
John Corigliano, Peter Vinograde, and Zenon Fishbein. Recently Ms. Suehiro
is a member of Mise-en ensemble and frequently appears at Composer's Voice
concerts.

Selected composers for Fifteen Minutes of Fame include:
Playing House by Scott Brickman
Penny Matches by Sheila Forrester
Hurry up, come on... by Jay Anthony Gach
Prove that I Lie by Burton Goldstein
The Eagle by Mary Ann Joyce-Walter
Plant My Apple Tree Today by Laszlo Kekszakallu
Now Welcome Somer by Geoffrey Kidde
In the twilight rain by Tyler Kline
Four Songs on Haiku of Masuro Basho by Kevin Scott
Wintery Forest by Jose Jesus de Azevedo Souza
Whales Weep Not! by Samuel Stokes
Almost April by Dale Trumbore
Vexation by Matthew Van Dongen
Santa Rosa by Blair Whittington
Die Weihe der Nacht by Christopher M. Wicks

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Shannon_Roberts_Yumi_S
uehiro/> You can find more information here
http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Shannon_Roberts_Yumi_Su
ehiro/

Vox Novus Projects

<http://www.voxnovus.com> Vox Novus <http://www.60x60.com> 60x60
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/> Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/> Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/resources/American_Composer_Timeline.htm> American
Composer Timeline
<http://www.composerssite.com/> Composer's Site
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/> NM421 - New Music for the 21st Century

Opportunities

Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo.jpg>

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/>
Fifteen Minutes of Fame

CALL FOR SCORES

Fifteen Minutes of Fame: Matthew Rosenberg
bassoon solo

Deadline: February 21, 2014

Vox Novus is calling for one-minute pieces composed for
Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Matthew Rosenberg, bassoon to be premiered in a
video performance scheduled for June 2014. The video of this performance
will be available for viewing on the Vox Novus website, Summer 2014.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Matthew_Rosenberg.jpg>

Matthew Rosenberg, bassoonist, is a New York City-based freelance musician
and a teacher currently serving as faculty at the Luzerne Music Center. He
holds his B.M. from New York University, an A.D. from the Aaron Copland
School of Music, and his M.M. from The Manhattan School of Music, where he
was featured as a soloist in the Strauss Duet-Concertino as well as many
other MSM performances. At NYU, he studied primarily under Leonard Hindell,
and Mark Timmerman, and was a featured player in numerous productions. His
undergraduate education took him as far as Prague, where he learned under
the tutelage of Jaroslav Kubita of the Czech Philharmonic. At the Aaron
Copland School of Music he worked under Marc Goldberg and has studied with
Roger Nye of the New York Philharmonic while at MSM. As an active chamber
and orchestral musician he is a two time winner of the Lillian Fuchs Chamber
Music Competition and has played with orchestras such as the Garden State
Philharmonic, Nova Philharmonic, Park Avenue Chamber Orchestra, and the
Amore Opera.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/#14-02-21> Click here for
more details

Birmingham Art Music Alliance
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Birmingham_Art_Music_Alliance_logo.jpg>

<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/calls/>
Birmingham New Music Festival
Call for Submissions

Deadline: February 15, 2014

Birmingham Art Music Alliance Birmingham New Music Festival Call for
Submissions

The Birmingham Art Music Alliance located in Birmingham, Alabama will be
presenting the inaugural Birmingham New Music Festival (BNMF), a three-day
festival of new music to be held August 21-23, 2014. The Alliance
Programming Committee will select works of five composers outside of the
organization to be included in the festival. The festival will feature
performers Craig Hultgren - cello, Lori F. Neprud-Ardovino - clarinet and
saxophone, Adam Bowles - piano and Kathryn Fouse - piano.

Submission to BNMF is free and open to composers of any age or nationality.
Only one work may be submitted per composer. Submissions of acoustic,
electronic, and/or electroacoustic solo or chamber works (duet, trio, or
quartet) are encouraged. Works with projected video may also be considered.
Submitted works are suggested to be no more than twelve minutes in duration.
Composers must attend their performance if a selected work is to be
presented at the festival. Selected composers may provide their own
performers when submitting works for other than the featured
instrumentalists. Travel, accommodations and non-featured performer expenses
are the responsibility of the composer.

To submit, send the following attachments to , with an e-mail subject field
of BNMF2014-:
-A single PDF document containing the following information, in the order
given;
-Cover page with title, composer, instrumentation, duration, technical
requirements, and a working URL link to an mp3 recording, if available,
(either live or a MIDI realization) of the submitted work;
-Second page with a concise one-paragraph bio and another concise
one-paragraph description of the work suitable for program notes;
-A second PDF attachment containing the complete score, (this requirement is
waived for fixed media electronic works *if* a recording is provided).

Receipt deadline for submissions to BNMF is, February 15, 2014.

Concerts will be held at different venues throughout the Birmingham area,
including the University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham-Southern
College and Moonlight on the Mountain. The festival will include an
improvisation concert and a 60x60 performance in which 60 one-minute
electronic compositions will be joined to create a one-hour concert. For