[Voxnovus] NM421>July 18, 2014 - CIRCUIT BRIDGES CONCERT NO. 6: REINFORCING BRIDGES - MaD Circle by Joseph Bohigian - Results Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame with Calvin Falwell, bass clarinet & Robert McCormick, drum set

Robert Voisey (Vox Novus) RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com
Fri Jul 18 04:09:32 EDT 2014

Can't view this email properly? Click here for the online version
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-07-18.htm>
	 <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421> New Music for the 21st Century

< <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-07-11.htm> 	 July 18, 2014
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-07-24.htm> >

VOX NOVUS NEWSLETTER - New Music for the 21st Century
> REVIEW: MaD Circle by Joseph Bohigian
> Is it worth it to compose a work one minute in length?
> POSTCARD: Andrea Segovia
Vox Novus Calendar
> CIRCUIT BRIDGES CONCERT NO. 6: REINFORCING BRIDGES
ANNOUNCEMENTS
> RESULTS: Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame with
Calvin Falwell, bass clarinet & Robert McCormick, drum set
OPPORTUNITIES
> Composer Opportunites on Music Avatar
> Composer's Site - new opportunities
> Composer's Site - expiring opportunities

Andrea Segovia

 Andrea Segovia
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/postcard/14-07-18-Andrea_Segovia.jpg>

Andrea Segovia was a child prodigy. She taught herself to play the guitar at
the age of two and had mastered the instrument before she was eight.
However, in unenlightened Spain at the turn of the twentieth century, there
was no call for wunderkind girl guitarists. So she did what so many other
talented female artists of the day did - she traded her skirt for a pair of
trousers, cut and pomaded her hair, and assumed a more masculine name:
Meptang. But when she learned the name was a Basque word meaning "tone-deaf
shepherd ugly as goiter," she promptly changed it to Andres. The rest is
six-string history.

 <http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn

 <http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn
www.DavidGunn.org

 MaD Circle
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-07-11-MaD_Circle_poster.jpg>

MaD Circle

Last Sunday's Composer's Voice concert combined new dances with new music to
create a unique project for the series. The concert, entitled "MaD Circle",
sought to rethink the classic forms of the waltz and tango.

For this concert, curators Erin Bomboy and Callie Hatchett called for
choreographers to create new works set to original music written for the
project. Each selected choreographer was given a piece of music, based on
either the waltz or tango form, and assigned to revitalize the form of
classic dance "for a new generation through fresh choreographic ideas and
rejuvenated music structures". The goal was to combine the worlds of
commercial dance and concert dance to create something innovative yet rooted
in classic forms. The result of the project was a variety of unique takes on
innovating upon classical forms that both engaged and entertained the
audience.

 Allison Schieler, Caroline Dietz, Leslie Saint-Jour, and LA Kilpatrick
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-07-18_Callie_Hatchett.jpg>

One of the highlights of the performance was Zyngare, choreographed by
Callie Hatchett and performed by Caroline Deitz, LA Kilpatrick, Allison
Schieler, and Leslie St. Jour. Set to Gary Allne Edwards' "The Gypsy Tango",
Hatchett's choreography perfectly embraced the idea of new concert dance
building upon the classic form of the tango. While not overtly tango-like,
her choreography used elements that the audience would recognize as coming
from the tango in a subtle way, perhaps aided by Edwards' rather
straightforward tango music. The result was a freer or looser form of the
classic tango.

 Maxx Passion  <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-07-18-Maxx_Passion.jpg>

Maxx Passion's performance of her I know, follow the leader, set to music by
Petri Kuljuntausta, was a strong statement on the role of women in the
classical form of the waltz. Passion began by dancing around a pair of black
heels, nearly slipping her feet into the shoes yet consistently resisting.
To this she added "I thought I would be the leader", which she spoke
directly at the audience in an earnest tone, seeming to express some inner
desire to lead rather than be led. Eventually she succumbed, donning the
heels and, partially, a golden gown and danced in a more traditional manner
that looked like she was, in fact, being led by an unseen leader (presumably
a man). Passion's piece, which was beautifully danced, had a clear message
which directly related to the theme of the project in a unique way.

Special mention should be made of Carson Reiners' performance of her piece
Stuck. She danced through her entire piece even though the music never
started playing without giving a hint to the audience that something was
wrong. Oddly enough, the performance, in which Reiners frequently made
silent gasping motions, seemed to work even without music and left me
wondering if perhaps the lack of sound was intentional.

 Jennifer_Roit_performed_by_Ray_Keller_and_Jennifer_Roit
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-07-18_Jennifer_Roit_performed_by_Ray_K
eller_and_Jennifer_Roit.jpg>

The concert concluded with Jennifer Roit and Ray Keller's performance of
Roit's TRUSTissues, set Larry Matthew Gaab's "Dreaming Tangos". Gaab's eerie
and fluid music, itself an interesting take on the traditional tango, was
effectively matched to Roit's graceful choreography.

After the performance, the dancers, choreographers, and composers gathered
at The Pony Bar for drinks, a Composer's Voice tradition, to discuss the
effectiveness of the performance and enjoy each other's company.

The July 13th concert was the first of two for the MaD Circle Dance project.
The second concert will take place at 1:00 pm on Sunday, August 10th at Jan
Hus Church in New York City and will feature a new set of composers,
choreographers, and dancers.

 <http://http://josephbohigian.wix.com/composer> Joseph Bohigian

 <http://josephbohigian.wix.com/composer> Joseph Bohigian
http://josephbohigian.wix.com/composer
Joseph Bohigian is a composer from Fresno, California and is interning for
Vox Novus. He will be sharing his experiences on the New York New Music
scene.

 Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame_logo-250.jpg>

Is it worth it to compose a work one minute in length?

As much as we all have issues with Facebook, it can be amazing - I posted
about "Peregrination," a one-minute piece for bassoon, clarinet, euphonium,
saxophone or tuba. In two hours, the wonderful Suzanne Mueller, cellist,
commented asking why there was no version for cello. I made an adaptation
for cello for her, and then I also adapted "Chesapeake Gambol," a one-minute
piece originally written for tuba, for her, and KAZAAAAMMMM!!! Suzanne is
now planning to premiere both pieces on her July 27 concert at Old Westbury
Gardens!!. Thank you, Suzanne!! And thank you to Douglas DaSilva and Rob
Voisey whose 15 Minutes of Fame program prompted me to write these two
one-minute pieces, even if they were "not selected" for performance on the
15 Minutes of Fame program.

NOTE: The tuba piece, Chesapeake Gambol, was premiered by Ben Vokits on June
27 on the Soofser#5 program.

 <http://http://josephbohigian.wix.com/composer> Greg Bartholomew

 <http://www.gregbartholomew.com/> Greg Bartholomew
http://www.gregbartholomew.com/
Greg Bartholomew is a Vox Novus composer and his works have been included on
60x60 <http://www.voxnovus.com> , Composer's Voice
<http://www.ComposersVoice.com> , and Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame.com>

Upcoming Performances

 Circuit Bridges <http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Circuit_Bridges.gif>

CIRCUIT BRIDGES CONCERT NO. 6:
REINFORCING BRIDGES

Thursday, July 24th, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Circuit Bridges is a monthly electroacoustic concert series, held at Gallery
MC in New York City. The July 24th concert, titled "Reinforcing Bridges", is
the final concert of the first season. It reflects the concept of the first
concert from the season, which built a bridge from New York City composers
to composers from around the world. This return home features music from the
inaugural call for works, which received over 190 submissions. The music
selected for this concert represents a variety of styles and ideas employed
by living electronic music composers.

Founded in 2014 by Robert Voisey and under the artistic direction of David
Morneau and Melissa Grey, Circuit Bridges is dedicated to creating a
community for creators of electroacoustic music and strives to explore all
that is included, and currently being innovated, under the electroacoustic
umbrella, such as sonic art, radio art, glitch, circuit bending,
electronica, real-time improvisation, network performance, audiovisual
composition, mash-up, and data sonification. It's mission is to connect with
similar organizations from around the globe that foster and promote
innovative electroacoustic music and sound. Concerts feature local composers
and sound artists and those from visiting communities and immerse audiences
in the vast wealth of electroacoustic music being created today. Concerts
are held on a Thursday once a month at Gallery MC in New York City.

This concert will present works from a unique set of composers: Joel
Gressel, Antonio D'Amato, Ken Paoli, Robert Voisey, Angelo Bello, Joshua
Marquez, Michael James Olson, Brian Schorn, Milica Paranosic, John Oliver,
John Bock, Taylor Brook, and Taylan Cihan, which reflect the curators'
aesthetic and experiences.

These composers' works have been performed around the world at such
prestigious venues as the SEAMUS National Conference, Noisefloor Festival,
ICMC Conference, World Financial Center Winter Garden Atrium, Stratford
Circus, and Carnegie Hall by such ensembles as the JACK Quartet, Akropolis
Reed Quintet, Quintet Sirocco, Argento Chamber Ensemble, Momenta Quartet,
and Ensemble Adapter.

The concert will feature performances by Margaret Lancaster, Taylan Cihan,
Milica Paranosic, and Robert Voisey and video by Carmen Kordas. Their work
has been heard around the world at Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center Festival,
Spoleto Festival USA, Ibsen Festival, Santa Fe New Music, Edinburgh
Festival, Tap City, New Music Miami, Festival D'Automne, Galapagos Art
Space, The Stone, and Symphony Space.

For more information about the Circuit Bridges Series:
www.circuitbridges.com

CIRCUIT BRIDGES CONCERT NO. 6: REINFORCING BRIDGES Thursday, July 24th at
8:00 pm (7:30 pm pre-concert listening) Gallery MC 549 W 52nd St, New York,
NY 10019 [Use the freight elevator entrance] $10 admission
http://www.gallerymc.org/h/

Calendar

 <http://www.voxnovus.com/calendar> Calendar of Vox Novus Events
 Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame.com/images/Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame_Calvi
n_Falwell_Robert_McCormick.jpg>

Announcing results for Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame with
Calvin Falwell, bass clarinet & Robert McCormick, drum set

Vox Novus called for one-minute pieces for Calvin Falwell, bass clarinet &
Robert McCormick, drum set for Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame to be performed on
Composer's Voice concert series Septmeber 14, 2014 at Jan Hus Church in New
York City

  <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Calvin_Falwell.jpg>

Praised for his "great skill and captivating sound" by Clariperu, American
clarinetist Calvin Falwell enjoys a varied career as an orchestral musician,
soloist and educator. His choice of equipment and clarinet reeds
<http://www.wwbw.com/Clarinet-Reeds-Reeds.wwbw>  has helped him to earn his
fame he has today. Calvin is a member of the clarinet faculty of the
University of South Florida School of Music and is a member of the Sarasota
Opera Orchestra in Sarasota, FL. During the summer months he can be found
performing with the Ash Lawn Opera Festival in Charlottesville, VA. Prior to
his current appointments, Calvin held positions with the Florida Grand
Opera, Miami City Ballet and the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra. Calvin has
also appeared with the Louisville Orchestra, Florida Orchestra, Lexington
Philharmonic, Sarasota Orchestra, Opera Tampa, Opera Naples, Palm Beach
Symphony, Pittsburgh Opera Theater and Symphony in C (formerly Haddonfield
Symphony). Additionally, Calvin has toured internationally with the
Hollywood Concert Orchestra. Calvin has also served on the faculties of Holy
Family University, Wilmington University, Hartwick College Music Festival,
Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp and AMEROPA Chamber Music Festival. In addition to
his orchestral positions, Calvin has enjoyed performing as a soloist in both
recital and orchestral settings. A true champion of new music, Calvin has
had the privilege of premiering numerous works for both clarinet and bass
clarinet including works by Todd Goodman, David Thomas, Max Lifchitz,
Suzanne Polak and Joseph Hallman. Solo appearances have included recitals in
South America, China, Europe and the US. His principal teachers and mentors
include Paul Demers (Philadelphia Orchestra), Ron Samuels (Pittsburgh
Symphony Orchestra), Tim Zavadil (Minnesota Orchestra), Dallas Tidwell
(Louisville Orchestra), Daniel Lochrie (Nashville Symphony) and Scott Locke
(Murray State University). Both Calvin's BM and MM are in Clarinet
Performance and are from the University of Louisville and Duquesne
University respectively. Calvin is both a Selmer Paris and Rico Performing
Artist, performing on Selmer Clarinets and Rico Reeds exclusively.

  <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Robert_McCormick.jpg>

Robert McCormick is currently Professor of Music at the University of South
Florida. He served as principal percussionist/assistant timpanist with the
Florida Orchestra for 20 seasons, and was a core member of the legendary
Harry Partch Ensemble. Robert is often sought after to perform and conduct
in major venues working with such artists as Placido Domingo, Andre Bocelli
and many others. He has authored articles, solos, and percussion texts that
are considered standard literature in the field of percussion. With dozens
of critically acclaimed recordings and reviews in leading journals such as
Gramophone, American Record Guide, Fanfare and The Strad, Robert is
internationally recognized for his performances with the McCormick
Percussion Group and the McCormick Duo flute/percussion ensemble. Robert was
the 2006 recipient of the Florida Music Educator of the Year Award; the 2007
Grand Prize in the Keystone Percussion Composition Award, the 2010 Jerome
Krivanek University Distinguished Teacher Award and received 2012 Global
Music Award. Highly regarded as a teacher, Robert is especially proud of his
many students that hold prestigious positions in the field of percussion.

Works selected for this Fifteen Minutes of Fame include:
The Metropolis Skyline by Rodrigo Baggio,
Interlude 146 by David Bohn,
Charlie Foxtrot by James Bohn,
Homage to Scrubby Samba by Joseph Bourdeau ,
Perspective by Stephen P Brown,
The Sight of a Dragon by Inna Buganina,
Jabber by Vincent Euliano,
Thought Chamber by Sean Hamilton ,
Dirt by Tyler Kline ,
Elation Relation by David Meckler,
Zhoke by Daniel Mihai,
Bounce by Gary Powell Nash,
Nice N' Simple by J.J. de Azevedo Souza,
Salty Kiss by Paul Taylor, and
In Memoriam S. H. by Luca Vanneschi.

<http://Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame.com/featuring/Calvin_Falwell_Robert_McCormic
k/> You can find more information here
http://www.Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame.com/featuring/Calvin_Falwell_Robert_McCor
mick/

Opportunities on Music Avatar

 <http://www.MusicAvatar.org>
Opportunities

Music Avatar is a great new way to upload works for composer opportunities
hassle free! You will be able to submit, update, and modify your submission
all the way up to the deadline date of the opportunity. www.MusicAvatar.org

 <http://www.composerssite.com/new_opp> Composer's Site

Click Here for New Opportunities <http://www.composerssite.com/new_opp>

 <http://www.composerssite.com/expiring_opp> Composer's Site