[Voxnovus] NM421> July 25, 2014 - Composer's Voice curated by Joseph Bohigian - Fifteen Minutes of "Infamy" - Robert Dick - REVIEW: Eyal Maoz at The Stone - RESULTS: Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: New York City with Robert Botti

Robert Voisey (Vox Novus) RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com
Fri Jul 25 10:05:54 EDT 2014

Can't view this email properly? Click here for the online version
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-07-25.htm>
	 <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421> New Music for the 21st Century

< <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-07-18.htm> 	 Jul 25, 2014
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-08-01.htm> >

VOX NOVUS NEWSLETTER - New Music for the 21st Century
> REVIEW: Eyal Maoz at The Stone
> POSTCARD: The Audition
> Did you miss Circuit Bridges at Gallery MC?
Vox Novus Calendar
> Composer's Voice - PRESENTING THE MUSIC OF TOMORROW, TODAY
ANNOUNCEMENTS
> RESULTS: Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: New York City with Robert Botti
OPPORTUNITIES
> Fifteen Minutes of "Infamy" - Robert Dick - extended flute
> Composer Opportunites on Music Avatar
> Composer's Site - new opportunities
> Composer's Site - expiring opportunities

The Audition

 The Audition
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/postcard/14-07-25-The_Audition.jpg>

Auditions for the Assistant Principal Viola position of the Pringler
Festival Orchestra were competitive indeed. Nearly a hundred candidates
attempted to display their mastery of Daphnis et Chloe, the Haffner
Symphony, Ein Heldenleben, the Appalachian Spring Suite, and, of course,
Etude Brute. After the preliminary, quarter-final, semi-final, and final
rounds, six musicians were tied with identical scores. Too bad, because at
that point, the audition committee had no choice but to hand the finalists
over to Dr. Meptang, the orchestra's ophthalmological coach, who subjected
them to a simple test that measured their tolerance of pain. Regrettably,
none of the candidates passed.

 <http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn

 <http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn
www.DavidGunn.org

 The Stone
<http://www.eyalmaozmusic.com/uploaded/welcome/Stone_banner_for_website.jpg>

Review of Eyal Maoz at The Stone

On the last night of his residency at The Stone, John Zorn's East Village
NYC music venue specializing in the experimental and avant-garde, guitarist
Eyal Maoz was joined by Shoko Nagai on keyboards and Lukas Ligeti on drums
to form the LMN Trio. The trio performed a 90 minute improvisation that
ranged from frightening intensity to complete silence. Aptly described as
"three of the best improvisers of the downtown scene", the trio's
improvisations took the listener on a wild journey befitting the intimate
space that is The Stone.

The performance began with Ligeti playing a tom from behind the closed
restroom door, located just behind the performance area. It took a few
seconds for some audience members to realize the performance had even begun,
but it was a good indication of what they were getting themselves into. Soon
Maoz and Nagai joined in and Ligeti sat down at the drum set, which he
preceded to play with great intensity, initiating a 45 minute build
characterized by distorted guitar shredding and repeated loops on keyboard.

The first section of the improvisation, while consistently loud and intense,
was not without changes in mood or style. One of the best parts was, when,
after a good portion of distorted, arhythmic noise, Ligeti and Maoz briefly
broke out into straight ahead rock groove which would have sounded normal
and uninteresting if it had been earlier in the performance, but rather
sounded fresh in contrast to the preceding music. Another highlight of the
first section was the change in color achieved by Ligeti's liberal use of
cowbell and other small percussion instruments part-way through.

After a short period of silence, Ligeti returned to the restroom to play the
tom, and at one point flush the toilet, bringing the first section to a
circular close. Next, Maoz played some delicate unamplified guitar sounds in
a contrastingly light section which gave way to yet another build which
eventually trailed off into silence. Nagai was the star of this section,
introducing new, short patterns which she repeated at varying intervals,
always leaving the audience wondering when they would come back.
Interspersed between these patterns was an occasional burst of frenetic
energy which covered the entire range of the keyboard.

The last ten minutes of the performance were almost completely silent, with
the exception of noises coming from the street outside, the audience
shuffling in their seats, and occasional movements from the performers. For
most of this section, the trio exchanged hesitant glances, presumably
deciding whether or not they were finished playing. During this period, the
performers walked around the stage, turned off and on amps, and even began
packing up their instruments. At one point, Ligeti yelled out "James
Ilgenfritz on bass!", in reference to the bassist who played on the next set
and was standing in the back of the room. Not knowing if the performance was
over, the entire audience sat and watched in confusion and silence.

This last section was some of the most intense silence I've ever heard (not
heard?). It made me very uncomfortable, but in a way that I somehow
appreciated. Eventually, the performers walked off into a side room, one by
one, and the audience finally began to enthusiastically applaud; not,
however, before two people walked out the room in protest.

The LMN Trio's extended improvisation was beautifully performed by Maoz,
Ligeti, and Nagai. They were very effective at communicating with each other
and performing as a cohesive group. The performance was at times humorous
and consistently engaging, not an easy task for a 90 minute improvisation,
and made good use of space to contrast against the aural intensity of
previous sections.

Led by artistic director John Zorn, The Stone is a not-for-profit
performance space dedicated to the experimental and avant-garde. Residencies
following Eyal Maoz' include Billy Martin (July 22-27) and Tyshawn Sorey
(July 29-August 3). You can find more information about The Stone at the
following link: http://thestonenyc.com/

 <http://http://josephbohigian.wix.com/composer> Joseph Bohigian

 <http://josephbohigian.wix.com/composer> Joseph Bohigian
http://josephbohigian.wix.com/composer
Joseph Bohigian is a composer from Fresno, California and is interning for
Vox Novus. He will be sharing his experiences on the New York New Music
scene.

Upcoming Performances

 Circuit Bridges <http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Circuit_Bridges.gif>

Circuit Bridges

Did you miss the last Circuit Bridges at the Gallery MC in New York City?
You can see and hear some of the performances at the following link:
www.circuitbridges.com

 Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Composers_Voice_logo_2012.jpg>

COMPOSER'S VOICE
PRESENTING THE MUSIC OF TOMORROW, TODAY

Sunday, July 27th at 1:00 PM

The Composer's Voice Concert Series is a collaboration between Vox Novus and
Jan Hus Church. Performances are short chamber concerts held at Jan Hus
Church and are an opportunity for contemporary composers to express their
aesthetic and personal voice.

The July 27th afternoon concert will feature the work of a wide variety of
composers and performers from across the world.

"it's on the edge of what's happening" -Brant Lyon, Great Weather for Media

This concert will be guest curated by Vox Novus intern Joseph Bohigian.
Joseph is a composer and performer from Fresno, California whose music has
been performed across the US and Armenia. He currently attends California
State University Fresno where he performs with the New Music Ensemble,
Symphony Orchestra, and Percussion Ensemble and serves as President of the
Composers' Guild. Joseph's internship with Vox Novus is sponsored by the
Armenian General Benevolent Union New York Summer Internship Program. The
Internship Program provides unique career opportunities in New York City for
Armenian university students from around the world.

 Joseph Bohigian
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Joseph_Bohigian_01.jpg> "My name is
Joseph Bohigian and I am an intern with Vox Novus for the summer. Among
other things, I am curating and performing in a Composer's Voice concert on
July 27th at Jan Hus Church in NYC. I'll be performing two of my own works
on piano alongside the works of other living composers.

I am doing my internship through the Armenian General Benevolent Union New
York Summer Internship Program. The AGBU is the world's largest non-profit
organization devoted to preserving and promoting the Armenian identity and
heritage through educational, cultural and humanitarian programs. Since
1987, the AGBU New York Summer Internship Program has provided unique career
opportunities for Armenian university students from around the world.

This year, 33 interns from Armenia, Brazil, Canada, France, Lebanon,
Romania, Russia, Syria, the United Kingdom, and the United States in fields
as diverse as architecture, advertising, business, engineering, finance,
healthcare, international relations, journalism, law, marketing, and music
have gathered in New York City for two months to gain professional
experience and explore the city.

My works that I will be performing are Dzirani Dzar and Short Pieces for
Piano. I wrote and premiered Dzirani Dzar in the summer of 2012 in Yerevan,
Armenia while I was studying there with Artur Avanesov and participating in
the AGBU Musical Armenia Program. It has since been performed in Fresno,
California and in Dubuque, Iowa for the SCI Region V Conference. For this
piece, which is for piano four hands, I will be be joined in performance by
composer and pianist Anna Aidinian.

The concert will end with my performance of Short Pieces for Piano. This
work is a collection of short, solo piano pieces meant to be performed in
any combination or order according to the performer's taste. Pieces from
this collection have been performed in California, Michigan, New York, and
Bremen, Germany and more performances are planned for this fall.

The rest of the concert will feature music by Benjamin Boone, Kenneth
Froelich, Joshua Marquez, Anna Aidinian, Octavio Vazquez, and Rain
Worthington and performances by Eva Ingolf, Beth Griffith, Anne Goldberg,
Sarah Carrier, and Anna Aidinian. Their work has been heard around the world
and they are frequent contributors to Composer's Voice." -Joey

 Robert Voisey <http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Robert_Voisey_088.jpg>

Founded in 2001 by Robert Voisey, the Composer's Voice Concert Series has
had more than 100 concerts in New York City. Works are chosen from a wide
range of contemporary composers and performed by dedicated musicians devoted
to new music. The series has presented the works of hundreds of living
composers from around the world. Concerts are held two times a month in the
afternoon on the second and last Sundays of most months. The performance are
recorded and archived to further promote the new music, performers, and
composers. Audio, video scores, and programs can be found on the Composer's
Voice website. www.ComposersVoice.com

Listed as "One of the premier showcases for promising composers" by Time Out
New York, this performance includes works from a unique set of composers:
Benjamin Boone, Kenneth Froelich, Joshua Marquez, Anna Aidinian, and Joseph
Bohigian, which reflect the curator's aesthetic and experiences.

These composers' works have been performed around the world at such
prestigious venues as Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center, Walt Disney Concert
Hall, and the Aram Khachaturian Museum Hall by such ensembles as the JACK
Quartet, American Composers Orchestra, Pacific Serenades, Empyrean Ensemble,
Akropolis Reed Quintet, and California E.A.R Unit.

The concert will feature performances by violinist Eva Ingolf, soprano Beth
Griffith, oboist Anne Goldberg, flutist Sarah Carrier, and pianists Joseph
Bohigian and Anna Aidinian. They have performed around the world in the
United States, Europe, Russia, Armenia, Japan; in venues including: Carnegie
Hall, the Corcoran Gallery of Art, the Darmstadt International Summer
Courses for New Music, the Institute and Festival for Contemporary
Performance at Mannes, Gaudeamus Vertolkers Concours, and Avery Fisher Hall.
They are champions of contemporary music and are frequent Composer's Voice
concert often.

Composer's Voice concert Sunday, July 27th at 1:00 PM Jan Hus Church 351
East 74th Street (between First and Second Avenues) New York, New York 10021
FREE ADMISSION

Calendar

 <http://www.voxnovus.com/calendar> Calendar of Vox Novus Events
 Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/images/Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame_R
obert_Botti.jpg>

Announcing results for
Fifteen Minutes of Fame with Robert Botti

Vox Novus called for one minute works with a New York City theme for oboist
Robert Botti to be performed on August 6th New Music for Double Reeds
concert at SubCulture 45 Bleecker street in New York City.

Composer collective Circles and Lines teams up with the International Double
Reed Society for an evening of music featuring virtuosi of the double reed
world. C + L celebrates five years of concerts with commissions for The New
York Philharmonic's Rob Botti

  <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Robert_Botti.jpg>

Oboist Robert Botti has performed throughout North America, South America,
Europe, and Asia as an orchestral player, chamber musician, and soloist. A
native of New York, he studied with Ronald Roseman and Harlold Gomberg at
the Juilliard School where he received his bacherlor's and master's degrees.
While still a student he made his solo debut with the Juilliard Orchestra
performing the Richard Strauss Oboe Concerto in Alice Tully Hall. Mr. Botti
joined the New York Philharmonic in 1992 after serving as Principal Oboist
of the New York City Opera Orchestra and Opera Orchestra of New York. As a
soloist he has performed numerous concerti including the Mozart Oboe
Concerto with the New York Symphonic Ensemble. Solo recitals have included
Weil Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall. Mr. Botti performs frequently throughout
the season with the New York Philharmonic Ensembles in both Avery Fisher and
Merkin concert halls. He performed the Tafelmusik Quartet by Telemann as a
guest on Judith LeClair's New York Legends recording. He is featured on the
premiere recording of Arnold Sturm's Suite for Oboe and Piano, and he has
participated in numerous other recordings and performances with ensembles
including the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, Sylvan Winds, Philharmonia
Virtuosi, New York Kammermusiker, Amadeus Ensemble, and Harmonie Ensemble.
As a guest artist with Jazz at Lincoln Center he has collaborated and
recorded with Gunther Schuller, Wynton Marsalis, and Joe Lovano among
others. In 2003-2004 Mr. Botti was Visiting Professor of Oboe and B.A.
Nugent Professor of Performance Studies at the University of Illinois. He
remains on both the Woodwind Performance and Orchestral Performance
faculties at the Manhattan School of Music.

Selected composers for Fifteen Minutes of Fame include:
Ground Zero, 2:00 AM by David Avshalomov,
Here and Now by Robert Botti,
West 83rd Street Choro by Douglas DaSilva,
Cityscape by David Grossman,
City Shadows by Robert Magnuson,
New & York by David Mastikosa,
A Million Numbered Streets by Gary Powell Nash,
Gospel Giallo by Norberto Oldrini,
Intersection by Nicholas O'Neill,
Zip Codes 100-116 by Naftali Schindler,
Penn Station for Oboe by Jose Jesus de Azevedo Souza,
Carriage Ride in Central Park by Samuel Stokes,
Per Un Oboe by Luca Vanneschi,
Slide in Central Park by Jean-Pierre Vial, and
Sunrise over New York by Blair Whittington

 <http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Robert_Botti> You can
find more information here
http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Robert_Botti

Vox Novus Projects

 <http://www.voxnovus.com> Vox Novus
 <http://www.60x60.com> 60x60
 <http://www.ComposersVoice.com> Composer's Voice
 <http://www.Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame.com> Fifteen Minutes of Fame
 <http://www.CircuitBridges.com> Circuit Bridges
 <http://www.voxnovus.com/resources/American_Composer_Timeline.htm> American
Composer Timeline
 <http://www.ComposersSite.com/> Composer's Site
 <http://www.NM421.com> NM421 - New Music for the 21st Century

Opportunities

 Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo.jpg>

Fifteen Minutes of "Infamy" - Robert Dick - extended flute

Deadline: July 25, 2014

  <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Robert_Dick_02.jpg>

Vox Novus is calling for one-minute pieces for the flutist Robert Dick
utilizing extended flute technique from Robert Dick's book the "Other
flute". http://www.robertdick.net/products/The_Other_Flute-4-3.html The 15
selected works will be presented on the Composer's Voice concert series
January 25, 2015 in New York City. The one-minute pieces are to be written
specifically for this project, which will be premiered by Robert Dick.

"Dick held the audience in rapt attention with his spellbinding virtuosity"
- Washington Post

"There are few musicians that are truly revolutionary. Robert Dick is one of
them." - Bill Shoemaker, JazzTimes

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...................." - Dizzy Gillespie

With equally deep roots in classical music old and new and in free
improvisation and new jazz, Robert Dick has established himself as an artist
who has not only mastered, but redefined the flute. Known worldwide for
creating revolutionary visions of the flute's musical role, listening to
Robert Dick play solo has been likened to the experience of hearing a full
orchestra. His performances typically include flute (with his invention, the
Glissando HeadjointR)piccolo, alto flute, and bass flutes in C and F. On
special occasions, he'll bring out the giant, stand-up contrabass flute.
http://www.robertdick.net

 <http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/#14-07-25> Click here for
more details

Opportunities on Music Avatar

 <http://www.MusicAvatar.org>
Opportunities

Music Avatar is a great new way to upload works for composer opportunities
hassle free! You will be able to submit, update, and modify your submission
all the way up to the deadline date of the opportunity. www.MusicAvatar.org

 <http://www.composerssite.com/new_opp> Composer's Site

Click Here for New Opportunities <http://www.composerssite.com/new_opp>

 <http://www.composerssite.com/expiring_opp> Composer's Site