[game_edu] Games Learning & Society CFP

Matthew Gaydos matthew.gaydos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 18:00:08 EDT 2008

Hi all,
Sorry this is so late in getting out!!
-Matt

The fourth annual Games, Learning & Society (GLS) Conference will be held
July 10-11, 2008 in Madison, Wisconsin. Sponsored by the University of
Wisconsin-Madison School of Education and the Academic ADL Co-Lab, the GLS
Conference fosters substantive discussion and collaboration among academics,
designers, and educators interested in how game technologies – commercial
games and others – can enhance learning, culture, and education. Speakers,
discussion groups, and interactive workshops will focus on game design, game
culture, and games' potential for learning.

For three years the GLS Conference has been the space for academics,
industry leaders, educators, and policy makers to meet and to engage, not
just in industry building, but in serious discussion about the current state
of the field: where we ought to be headed, and what impact games can and
ought to have on culture and society. We are planning the biggest and best
year ever for this very important gathering, and we hope you will join us.

This two-day conference will be held at Frank Lloyd Wright's Monona Terrace
Convention Center, overlooking downtown Madison's beautiful Lake Monona.
Conference highlights include: a special session of hands-on workshops
designed by and for videogame researchers and designers; a two-day lounge
featuring Chat 'n' Frag sessions with key scholars and designers; fireside
chats with industry leaders and special guests; a game room; webcasts of
selected conference sessions; and our signature Thursday night dinner party.

We invite creative and interactive proposals for presentations, discussions,
symposia, workshops, debates, respondents, and exhibits on topics and issues
related to conference themes. To continue providing a high-quality program,
all submissions will go through peer review and be evaluated with respect to
quality, originality, clarity, and relevance to conference themes. Based on
positive feedback from last year's conference, we especially encourage
interactive session formats such as workshops, debates, and hands-on events
for the GLS lounge.

Complete submission guidelines are listed inside the submissions site at
http://glsconference.org. Submission format includes: Title; Abstract (500
words or less); Author name(s), picture(s), and short bio(s); and lastly,
whether you would like your presentation to be considered for an interactive
(workshop, chat 'n' frag, poster) or more expository (symposium, plenary)
session. Submissions are due online by March 31, 2008.

Thank you for your time; we look forward to seeing you in July!

--
Graduate Student in Educational Psychology
University of Wisconsin - Madison