[game_edu] Where to post academic job offers?

Erin Hoffman erin.n.hoffman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 22:26:33 EDT 2008

Susan,

I don't believe I said that all game design positions reside or should
reside in computer science departments -- very far from it. My training is
in liberal arts primarily (my bachelor's is half in electronic art,
actually), though I also studied computer science. Mostly, though, I spent
most of my time in college making games outside of class. I don't think this
particularly qualified or disqualified me to become a game designer. I
certainly also think that people of all disciplines can benefit from
*studying* games. But if I were a student taking a game design class or a
professional recommending someone to a program that teaches game design,
yes, I would expect that instructor to have some relevant experience in game
design -- not animation, not computer science, not graphic design. Game
design. They are very, very different disciplines, and I find the latitude
with which some departments assume that because game design is
multidisciplinary that one should be qualified to *teach* it (not learn, not
study -- teach) out of established academic achievement in equally valuable
but utterly tangential fields quite disturbing.

I'm a bit baffled that I should be expected not to be surprised that someone
would be teaching something they have never experienced or engaged in
professionally. I honestly don't know what to say in reply to that, so I'll
change the subject.

I am curious what you all think of departments in sociology that teach
recreation and leisure. Most of them currently don't study games, but I
think they should. I have an article recently with the Escapist on the
recreation and leisure department at the University of Waterloo. (
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.55557 )

--Erin