[game_edu] Where to post academic job offers?

Mark Baldwin mark at baldwinconsulting.org
Wed Mar 19 23:34:56 EDT 2008

I've been thinking about the question of who is qualified to teach game
design. The most obvious answer as one might find in any of the fine arts
is someone who actually is successful and published in the field.
Certainly, in many schools if you want to teach literature, you have to be a
published writer, or if you want to teach painting, you have to have
exhibitioned your work successfully.

In a like way, I think if you want to teach game design, you must also be a
published game designer, preferably multiple times. Certainly, if I was a
student, I would be looking for that in my instructors.

However, there are not many of us out there. So I've been asking myself,
what is the second best solution?

And what I keep coming up with are two fields. The first is TV and Film,
and the second is Literature. Certainly, I cannot imagine how computer
science or graphic art would qualify an individual to teach game design.

What other fields might put someone close to be able to teach game design?

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Lewis Baldwin

Associate Professor