[game_edu] Where to post academic job offers?

Roberts, Scott sroberts at cti.depaul.edu
Thu Mar 20 01:52:19 EDT 2008

Mark, you left out an important element from what is ordinarily required to attain a tenure-track position in an area: a terminal degree. This is one of the problems we're facing as this educational area grows, a shortage of PhD or MFA programs that focus on game production/design. While at DePaul we do have working game designers teaching game design, eventually we'll need tenure-track faculty in the area.

It appears natural that a terminal degree in game design would be an MFA rather than a PhD. Is anyone offering an MFA program in game design? Would this degree serve much of a purpose other than qualifying someone for tenure consideration?

Regarding your question, I think the second best solution is an experienced teacher with an intense interest in the subject of games and game design, which I think is what Susan was saying.

Scott

Scott Roberts (MFA)
Associate Professor
DePaul University