[game_edu] Where to post academic job offers?

Mark Baldwin mark at baldwinconsulting.org
Thu Mar 20 09:40:31 EDT 2008

I didn't ignore the problem of a terminal degree, but I do question it.
Certainly, a terminal degree is a measure of qualification in education.
But it shouldn't act as a straight jacket to lock out knowledge. There
have always been ways around that constraint, by the simple fact that
academic knowledge would be completely incestuous if it was not.

Perhaps the solution is as simple as academia saying that for new fields of
knowledge, publication (or some other standard of knowledge success) equates
to a terminal degree. Or perhaps the whole standard of a terminal degree is
obsolete in the quickly changing world of human knowledge. Should a
terminal degree trump actual evidence of successful and deep knowledge and
experience?

On your comment on intense interest, that's how I got started. My first
published game was a miniatures game I designed back in '67 while still in
High School. I was designing games long before there were personal
computers because it was a personal interest. I then took that interest
and knowledge, along with other technical knowledge (I'm an engineer by
education, and use to design Shuttle flights), and turned it into a
successful game career. But I would suggest that neither my intense
interest nor my degrees qualify me to teach games, they just prepped me.
Instead, what I think qualifies me to teach game design is all the games
I've designed, exemplified by my successful career and credits.

Mark

Mark Lewis Baldwin

Associate Professor

Game Design and Development