[game_edu] Game studies and the economy

Seth Sivak sjsivak at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:51:39 EDT 2009

I am about to graduate from a game related graduate school and most of my
friends are all looking for jobs. From what I can tell most programmers
look at getting well over 40k a year (more like 60k and this is in Boston,
NY, SF and LA), but art and design are a bit different. No one that I know
of from my program is going into QA. It seems like artists get paid the
least, with designers and producers both about the same and programmers
receiving the most. I know of a tiny amount of students actually getting
straight design jobs, most are either design/production or
design/programming. In the programming category (this is what I do), it
seems that gameplay programmers are the least in demand, but graphics and
tools programmers stand to make a bit more money and there are more jobs
available.

Also, most of the first year students have managed to get summer intenships,
so they do exist. A large number of students are going to EA, Activision
and 2K. I know of at least one going to LucasArts and a bunch going to
other smaller studios.

Again, this is a grad school so it may not be typical of all game related
education.

Seth

2009/4/2 Darius Kazemi <darius.kazemi at gmail.com>

> All of my numbers are from Boston, where I live. $40k sounds high to me.

> 2009/4/2 Scott Maddock <smaddock at gmail.com>

> Eh, that was indeed an oversimplified statement, I should have been more

>> careful. I was specifically ignoring QA (as those are usually hourly, not

>> salaried), and I was thinking in east coast terms, which is also

>> misleading. Apologies for the lack of details!

>> That said, I think I'd still expect a graduate who manages to land a

>> salaried position as a designer, artist, or programmer, to start at 40k

>> (outside of California), unless they're going to a startup that doesn't have

>> the budget to be paying any of their employees very well yet.

>> 2009/4/2 Ian Schreiber <ai864 at yahoo.com>

>> I think that may be oversimplifying. 40K in California might be

>>> equivalent to 20-25K anywhere else, so to really compare apples to apples

>>> you have to give the location and salary (and also benefits, which are

>>> sometimes a considerable part of the total compensation package).

>>> In general, junior game designers are going to make less than other

>>> fields because it's a high-demand/prestige position; audio will make less

>>> because they get no love, as you say; and QA will make less, because they

>>> get even less respect than audio (QA is also the most likely to be part-time

>>> hourly with no benefits).

>>> I'm also not sure if people with game-related degrees will start at

>>> higher or lower salary than those with more general liberal arts degrees,

>>> when hired into comparable positions. IGDA salary survey doesn't make the

>>> distinction. I'd suspect there would be little difference in actual pay,

>>> 2009/4/2 Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com<http://us.mc397.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=swatjester@gmail.com>