[game_edu] Another game definition question

Scott Price sprice at textuality.org
Mon Dec 7 21:17:43 EST 2009

One of the early chapters of "Homo Ludens" by Johan Huizinga does a nice job
of comparing words for 'play' across various languages and cultures. IIRC,
though, it focuses specifically on 'play' and not as much on 'game'... a
fine distinction for English's most common use for 'play', but when you're
crossing languages you have to take more care.

O more knowledgeable members of this listserv: I haven't seen much real
response tearing down the analyses in Homo Ludens ... or supporting it. Has
Huizinga's analysis stood the test of time?

--Scott Price
Producer, Gamestar Mechanic