[game_edu] Definition of a Game

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Tue Dec 8 06:21:21 EST 2009

Hey, you just lost The Game :) is that a game? :)

Games are pretty broad. At least it is slightly easier to encompass just
Digital Games or Videogames due to the limitations of the medium there.
I have seen a lot of people say "What is a game?" (I was at DiGRA this
year, that cropped up a few times) but never answer it themselves...

So, Nic, what is your definition of a game? ;)

Also I disagree "fun" or "play" needs to be involved in a "game" (not
that they are not common!), although then we are all generalising what
"fun" and "play" are :D it's so complicated...game studies really have
it put out for them defining just broad ranges of interactive media, in
comparison to non-interactive media (who seem to get it a lot easier, heh).

I'd love to have a collection of well-thought-out references to point
to, I don't think a single one can encompass the definition properly,
due to the fact it is based more on the opinion of things then anything
else.

Andrew